Why can't I make a link?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Why can't I make a link?

Post by T J Tulley »

[Using LinuxMint8 with Windows-7 on a laptop with Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM, 500GB hdd]

I've done it frequently and use links from my desktop regularly for frequently needed locations.

Now if I open a partition and follow the path to a folder named Website and select it, in the R-click menu 'Make link' is greyed out.

If I go to the same folder using a link to its grandparent folder, the R-click menu shows the 'Make link' option but when I select it, I get the response:
"Error while creating link to Website. The target doesn't support symbolic links." [Website is the name of the folder].

The permissions of the folder are 400777, the owner is root. It is a sub-sub-folder in My Documents. I have run the command:
~$ sudo chown -R theo /media/OS/Users/theo and the owner is unchanged (after Refreshing the display).

I shall be most grateful for help.

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Why can't I make a link?

Post by remoulder »

Theo, if I understand you correctly, you are trying to make a link to a file that is resident on your Windows partition? If so you will have to use a permanent mount of the Windows partition I think, in order to do this. What you have now is a temporary mount. By a permanent mount I mean you have to edit your /etc/fstab file (as root) and add a line that mounts the partition to a folder that you have created such as /windows. See Fred's excellent post on this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks remoulder: Yes, my Windows partition is used as my datastore for Linux and it is permanently mounted. I scarcely use Windows.

I've often done this in the past - it's a new problem. I have a lot of working links to folders in My Documents. There's nothing unusual about this one.

Yours still hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks remoulder: Yes, my Windows partition is used as my datastore for Linux and it is permanently mounted. I scarcely use Windows.

I've often done this in the past - it's a new problem. I have a lot of working links to folders in My Documents. There's nothing unusual about this one.

Yours still hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

T J Tulley wrote:my Windows partition is used as my datastore for Linux and it is permanently mounted
Ok, it's just that you mentioned /media, this is normally used for temporary mounts. What's the mount line in your /etc/fstab say for the Windows partition?

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again: /etc/fstab includes the line:
/dev/sda3 /media/OS ntfs -3g rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0

It's been unchanged since January; this difficulty is new.

Yours still hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

T J Tulley wrote:ntfs -3g rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0
This is a rather strange mount line. Did you create this yourself or use some software to do it? Seems to me the normal mount line for your ntfs partition created at install should have been /dev/sda3 /media/OS ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0. I'm wondering if this might be related to your problem but TBH I don't understand this subject enough to make that call. Fred's the one you want, hopefully he'll see this?

Return to “Newbie Questions”