Remove: File does not exist

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Remove: File does not exist

Post by T J Tulley »

[Using LinuxMint-8 with Windows-7 on a laptop with Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM, 500GB hdd]

Here's the terminal display:
theo@TJTLAP3 ~ $ sudo rm -R /media/OS/Users/theo/My*/Bookselling/Website/New*
rm: cannot remove directory `/media/OS/Users/theo/My Documents/Bookselling/Website/New text 23-3-2010': No such file or directory

But the folder is there, it is empty (I've just emptied it), the path is correct (as shown by the fact that the terminal software has translated both of the * wildcards into the full folder names). Its owner is root but I'm using sudo,

This has happened before with Delete, and then the $ rm -R command worked - not this time.

What next, please?

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Remove: File does not exist

Post by deadguy »

Hi,

perhaps try sudo rm -rf /media/OS/Users/theo/My*/Bookselling/Website/New*

or sudo rm -rf /media/OS/Users/theo/My\ Documents/Bookselling/Website/New\ text\ 23-3-2010' (its \ then a space for command line use of spaces)

a word of caution though, always be extremely careful using rm -rf ! or rm -f for that matter.

Cheers,

Deadguy
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

What happens if you use the file manager of your system, I assume nautilus and descend into that directory's parent and try to delete the empty one (New*)
--you could also change ownership or start the filemanager with gsksu in order to get root control

Does that work ?
deadguy wrote:Hi,
or sudo rm -rf /media/OS/Users/theo/My\ Documents/Bookselling/Website/New\ text\ 23-3-2010' (its \ then a space for command line use of spaces)
Just like deadguy, but I prefer quoting than counting backslashes (\), so
sudo rm -R '/media/OS/Users/theo/My*/Bookselling/Website/New* '
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Theo, wondering if this problem is related to your other post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 11#p270811?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

remoulder wrote:Theo, wondering if this problem is related to your other post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 11#p270811?
Hmm that is a possibility......

Return to “Newbie Questions”