Syncing tray calendar with Google calendar

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rimshot4
Level 1
Level 1

Syncing tray calendar with Google calendar

Post by rimshot4 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:49 am

Is there a way to do integrate/sync GOogle Calendar into the system tray calendar, so I can actually see my appointments by clickikng on the date? My understanding is that Ubuntu's systray syncs with Evolution, and so if you sync that with Google Calendar via ical or whatever, it will show dates. Of course, that's Ubuntu. Mint 8 doesn't ship with a default calendar app that I know of, so how would I go about syncing the tray calendar with Google Calendar?

rimshot4
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Syncing tray calendar with Google calendar

Post by rimshot4 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:03 am

Found a solution on this thread on Ubuntu Forums. It's not pretty: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ock&page=6

I had to install Thunderbird, Lightening, and Evolution, all of which I don't use. Then I had to install the Thunderbird/Lightning add-on Evolution Mirror (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/9656). Then I set up Google Calendar in Thuderbird, it automatically gets synced to Evolution, which then autosyncs to the system tray calendar.

It seems there's no way to divorce Gnome's tray clock/calendar applet from its dependence on Evolution. This makes absolutely no sense for our distro, which, correctly, has kicked Evolution to the curb. So we have a default applet that's basically not fully functional with our default installation, and indeed, I had to install a heck of a lot and do a lot of tweaking just to make it functional at all.

Is there any way to suggest this as an issue needing fix for Linux Mint 10? I assume it's more than a bit late for Linux Mint 9.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye » Tue May 04, 2010 10:08 am

I've been thinking about this problem for a while. I'll put it on my list to check out the source here and see if there's a feasible fix that I could apply without having to rewrite the entire applet.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Claytonofbricks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Claytonofbricks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:33 am

Alright, after scouring the internet on how we could do this, I have found a way to sync the tray calendar to Google calendar without Evolution. Some brilliant person (ie not me) wrote a python script that will used synced accounts to access your google calendar and put it into the tray calendar. It took me less than 5 minutes to get this working. Just open your terminal and type the following.

Step 1: Install the dependecies

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git-core python-gtk2 python-dbus python-gdata python-iso8601 python-gnomekeyring
Step 2: Download and run GNOME Shell Google Calendar

Code: Select all

cd
git clone https://github.com/vintitres/gnome-shell-google-calendar.git
cd gnome-shell-google-calendar
./gnome-shell-google-calendar.py
Step 3: Get GNOME Shell Google Calendar to auto start
Run Startup Applications and click create new. In the "Name" field write "Gnome Shell Calendar" or whatever you like and then click browse and find the "gnome-shell-google-calendar.py" in the Home/gnome-shell-google-calendar/ directory

Kudos to the guy who wrote the python script and the person who made the tutorial at http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/google-c ... ation.html. I hope that everyone finds this helpful.

delinquent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by delinquent » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks, that's what I was searching for.

Return to “Newbie Questions”