(SOLVED) Multiverse Repositories

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CBR_Rob
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Multiverse Repositories

Post by CBR_Rob » Sun May 09, 2010 2:13 am

Ok I am fairly new to the whole Linux world. I am wanting to try Linux Mint 9 on my Toshiba (since I have read of a fix for the fan control in the newest Ubuntu). I am having trouble installing VLC player. I understand how to add a multiverse repository that only problem I am having is finding the APT line for the VLC player. Is there anyplace to find multipule APT line for different software?
Last edited by CBR_Rob on Sun May 09, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron E1505 - 2ghz Intel T2500 Core Duo - Windows XP and Mint 10
MSI Wind L1350 - 1.6ghz Intel Atom N450 - Joulicloud 1.0 and Ubuntu Netbook 10.04
Dell Dimension - Linux Mint 9

distro hopper
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Multiverse Repositories

Post by distro hopper » Sun May 09, 2010 2:32 am

You could try opening synaptic package manager and searching for vlc.
Distrohopper

CBR_Rob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Multiverse Repositories

Post by CBR_Rob » Sun May 09, 2010 3:06 am

I tried that while on the live cd and nothing showed up, I went ahead and just dual booted this pc with Mint 9 and Vista. Now it shows up in the package manager. I would still like to know how to find the multiverse repository info for any 3rd party software I may want to install in the future that does not show in the package manager.
Dell Inspiron E1505 - 2ghz Intel T2500 Core Duo - Windows XP and Mint 10
MSI Wind L1350 - 1.6ghz Intel Atom N450 - Joulicloud 1.0 and Ubuntu Netbook 10.04
Dell Dimension - Linux Mint 9

Return to “Newbie Questions”