How to use Character Map ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Terran

How to use Character Map ?

Post by Terran »

I need type "@" for email addresses after spending 30 minutes on Character Map (It wasn´t easy to find) it say U+0040 What?????? what means "U" on windows is by example Alt+0040 you just press Alt key and numbers.
In aMSN you can´t copy and paste the character and maybe I need to type "@" in the future so.....
Thanks for any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to use Character Map ?

Post by MALsPa »

I'll try. The "U+" is not a keystroke like "Alt+" or something, I think it just stands for Unicode.

You can search and find "@" in Character Map by clicking Search > Find, then enter the code 0040 in the box, then click on "Next."

That will find the "@." Then you double click on the the "@," and then click "Copy." That copies the "@" to the clipboard. Then you go to where you want to place the "@" and paste, using the keystroke Ctrl+v.

That is how I would use it, assuming that I am understanding your question correctly.
Terran

Post by Terran »

Thanks that do the job
but is a shame that I just can´t type @, instead I have to take the looooong way to do it (find+copy+paste )
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Why not? Does your keyboard not have that character?
Terran

Post by Terran »

yes but is little bit tricky my keyboard have 2 " @ in the same key I mean 3 different characters in one key in Windows I press Ctrl+Alt+2 for @ but in Linux that doesn´t work.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Terran wrote:yes but is little bit tricky my keyboard have 2 " @ in the same key I mean 3 different characters in one key in Windows I press Ctrl+Alt+2 for @ but in Linux that doesn´t work.
Oh, I understand.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Terran wrote:Thanks that do the job but is a shame that I just can´t type @, instead I have to take the looooong way to do it (find+copy+paste )
In any email address, it is there..
It it's awkward on the keyboard or with a character map or via the SCIM input methods, then find that character in any email and copy/paste it into your document
--if you used a clipboard manager, it would always be there, as well as any other characters you might need

Clipboard manager(s)..
http://www.kabatology.com/07/24/improve ... d-manager/
parcellite is in the repositories..

Return to “Beginner Questions”