Will defragmenting windows vista affect mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blake.

Will defragmenting windows vista affect mint?

Post by blake. »

the title says it all. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Will defragmenting windows vista affect mint?

Post by FedoraRefugee »

not if it is not on the Windows partition. If it is? I don''t know, good question! I suppose if the file were fragmented it could move things around. I wouldnt think it would effect it any more than it effects any other file types though.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Not likely, not even if it is a guest OS on a Windows partition, since that file that would support the guest OS (Sun's Virtualbox or VMWare), will simply be moved around as per the windows ntfs defragging methods: intact
--if it is a separate windows | Linux partition: then absolutely no effect on the other untouched OS partition..

Defrag in windows, old or new usually just means reclaiming free space in files and moving all files to the front (beginning ) of the hard drive partition, and relocating the free space to location following all moved files
--as long as there is no power failure during the move/copy operations, then it is unlikely that there will ever be a problem with that defrag, unless the software itself or a version of it has some serious bug..
blake.

Post by blake. »

DrHu wrote:Not likely, not even if it is a guest OS on a Windows partition, since that file that would support the guest OS (Sun's Virtualbox or VMWare), will simply be moved around as per the windows ntfs defragging methods: intact
--if it is a separate windows | Linux partition: then absolutely no effect on the other untouched OS partition..

Defrag in windows, old or new usually just means reclaiming free space in files and moving all files to the front (beginning ) of the hard drive partition, and relocating the free space to location following all moved files
--as long as there is no power failure during the move/copy operations, then it is unlikely that there will ever be a problem with that defrag, unless the software itself or a version of it has some serious bug..
the defrag tool is from microsoft, so it propbably does have some serious bugs :) . thank you.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I doubt it has any notable bugs but it certainly has serious and deliberate limitations unless you use it from the command line.
blake.

Post by blake. »

randomizer wrote:I doubt it has any notable bugs but it certainly has serious and deliberate limitations unless you use it from the command line.

whats the command?
recent-convert

Post by recent-convert »

Command for Windows defrag? Useless trivia you say?

Code: Select all

defrag C:\
Needs to be run as admin if you're on Win 7. Switches include /a to analyse and /v for verbose output.

Return to “Beginner Questions”