What to do with SPAM

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What to do with SPAM

Post by Oscar799 »

Thanks ikey,
I'll take it off the unanswered posts list now :P
USGIshimura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by USGIshimura »

I thought there was a high level of anti-spam in registration process! This isn't a complaint, just an observation. When I was registering I guessed that this forum would have trouble with spammers...(like most forums I guess).
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Meh, spammers will inevitably find a way around anti-spam measures implemented in any forum. Just a fact of life, I suppose.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

What to do with Spam

Post by Oscar799 »

This is still relevant and worth reposting as the spam keeps coming...

Over the last few weeks spam has been evolving from blatant advertisements for iPhones,Blackberries and such to something much more subtle and insidious.
There has been a huge increase in spam links in signature lines - often looking innocent enough,but connecting to sites selling all manner of dubious items.
Another unwelcome development is spam links contained within the body of posts,again connecting to sites selling dubious goods and services or software of questionable legality.
If you spot a suspicious post,please don't reply to it,instead click the button with the ! to report the post to the moderators.
We check all reported posts carefully before deciding to delete them,so if you're at all suspicious about a post report it.

Thanks
Moderation Team
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 »

Would it be possible for a post to be visibly tagged when it has been reported, please? I find that I am diligently reporting posts, only to get a message saying that they have already been reported. Many thanks.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Reported posts are flagged,but are only visible as such to Moderators and Admins
There is no simple way to change this
indaymadel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by indaymadel »

Maybe their intention is not actually for spamming but for link building (backlinking), a Search Engine Optimization method.
Same as mine, but I have no intention of spamming thru signature. And I'm not selling dubious items. Just giving free service. :)
Get started building backlinks using my free backlinks collection.
Egorama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Egorama »

What better than to dip it in batter and fry it?
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

There are some serious spam posts from this user: brawnypandora0
Steven Lake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Steven Lake »

vincent wrote:Meh, spammers will inevitably find a way around anti-spam measures implemented in any forum. Just a fact of life, I suppose.
I've run forums for years now, and I know that to be about as true as they come. Heck, even my blog has a pretty draconian anti-spam system on it just to keep the little pond suckers out. :twisted:
indaymadel wrote:Maybe their intention is not actually for spamming but for link building (backlinking), a Search Engine Optimization method.
Same as mine, but I have no intention of spamming thru signature. And I'm not selling dubious items. Just giving free service. :)
Well, you're partially right on that. Blatant spamming (all that iphone and other junk) is meant to generate direct sales. The subtle stuff is for SEO. So yeah, it depends on the spammer and what they're after. So it's a little bit of both. In some cases the spam is actually designed to entrap users in order to install drive by viruses.
- Steve Lake
Author: Earthfleet Saga, Land of the Lions, and The Dreamland Articles
Steven Lake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Steven Lake »

Personally, I'd love to declare an open season on them with a bounty. Oddly, if we did that nobody would have to lift a finger, because the spammers would start turning on each other. lol.
- Steve Lake
Author: Earthfleet Saga, Land of the Lions, and The Dreamland Articles
Pranaone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pranaone »

Spank the spammer!!
prateek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by prateek »

Pranaone wrote:Spank the spammer!!
LOL!
Linux... The future of the world.
Chris_C
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_C »

How about:
Spammer = Permaban

Could also add captcha if you have an issue with bot spam.
Dell Latitude D620 Dual-Boot Linux Mint 9/Windows XP Home
insertnikname
Level 1
Level 1

Post by insertnikname »

Spam actually isn't that bad if you fry it and eat it on toast with some spicy mustard. Although been years since I've had a good hunk of spam, lol. Messing round ...

:D
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

on another forum i am a moderator on ,one of our number checks every new membership application [ok sometimes after the event] and we then ban not only the user by name but if a known spamming group,also the ISP
now this is fine for us as we are primarily a British based forum but for something as international as MINT this would also effect honest members in the same region, so it down to the mod/admin team to deal with BUT with the assistance of all genuine members to report suspected post or members, im sure like my other forum the staff are all voluntary and deserve a day off or lye in locationally

don't get dis-hearten and keep up the good work

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I am also moderator on another forum and actively ban and delete spamming members. If the email of the new member is listed on Stop Forum Spam site....
http://www.stopforumspam.com/search.php
Then they get baned for ID, email and they get all their post and threads deleted but their IP's are not baned. This allows members that may be using the same IP host to still be able to use the forum.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
Edward.H
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Edward.H »

I think linuxmint forum should use recapcha http://www.google.com/recaptcha when user post reply.This should be help
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There is many spam out on the forum last week or so - even spam links at the bottom of normal posts.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
since1876
Level 1
Level 1

Post by since1876 »

I guess I'm not looking hard enough, but I've not yet seen a link that shouldn't be on the forum! Nice job at keeping up with them, moddies!

Return to “Newbie Questions”