How do I add a volume control to a panel.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
domromer
Level 1
Level 1

How do I add a volume control to a panel.

Post by domromer »

Last night I downloaded and installed Isadora main edition. I spent a few hours setting it up the way I like. This morning I was listening to Pandora and noticed that there is no volume control on my panel. I guess i must have deleted it by accident. How to I add put it back? I thought there was one in the add to panel menu but I was wrong. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by domromer on Wed May 19, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I add a volume control to a panel.

Post by Kaye »

For some strange reason (related to Gnome, not Mint), the volume control applet is coupled in with the "notification area." Adding that to your panel should give you back volume control.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pluraldave »

I have a similar issue. If log in with a normal Compiz/metacity/gnome-panel/nautilus session I have the control but if I use gnome-shell the control is missing. Either way the fix should be the same. To add the control to the current session use the following command in a terminal or from the alt+F2 dialog:

Code: Select all

gnome-volume-control-applet
To restore it for new sessions open the "Startup Applications" gui and add a new item using the same command as above.

Edit: unless you've removed the whole notification area and Kaye's solution is what you're after. If the notification area is gone you should have also lost the mintUpdate shield and network manager icon.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

pluraldave wrote:I have a similar issue. If log in with a normal Compiz/metacity/gnome-panel/nautilus session I have the control but if I use gnome-shell the control is missing. Either way the fix should be the same. To add the control to the current session use the following command in a terminal or from the alt+F2 dialog:

Code: Select all

gnome-volume-control-applet
To restore it for new sessions open the "Startup Applications" gui and add a new item using the same command as above.

Edit: unless you've removed the whole notification area and Kaye's solution is what you're after. If the notification area is gone you should have also lost the mintUpdate shield and network manager icon.
This is interesting. I didn't even know that could happen, or that you could uncouple the volume control applet from the notification area so easily. This is probably a better solution than mine in any case because it doesn't force someone to use the entire notification area if all they really want is volume control.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

domromer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by domromer »

Thanks for the great responses. I was all set to fix the problem then I realized that I was on my Mac at work!

domromer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by domromer »

So I did this "gnome-volume-control-applet" it did the job, but when i restarted it was gone again, Do i need to run this command every time i start? My notification center is still there. I'm just missing the volume icon again.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

You can just add the command to your startup programs and it'll run automatically.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Return to “Newbie Questions”