Migration problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lllazarrr
Level 1
Level 1

Migration problem

Post by lllazarrr » Wed May 19, 2010 2:25 pm

There's a fine article about migration to Mint 9, and I read it, installed Mint 9 and tried it. I decided that I prefer Mint 8 and switched back to it. However, some programs behave odd. For example Liferea (RSS reader) won't start, and Mozilla's built-in Google search won't work... I backed up both data and software.

Any suggestions ?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Migration problem

Post by remoulder » Wed May 19, 2010 5:03 pm

If you restored your home you will need to delete the hidden configuration folders apart from .mozilla and .thunderbird (which contain your firefox and thunderbird profiles), then log out and back in. Otherwise you need to explain what you did.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

lllazarrr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lllazarrr » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 am

It's really messed up. Other programs won't start either. I deleted one folder from .mozzila, it yielded no result. Other one was locked, when i tried to delete it, I was informed that I don't have permission to do it, but I'm the only user !

I backed the Home folder and software selection using Mint Backup Tool, installed Mint 9, installed Mint 8 (fresh install), restored Soft selection and Home folder and installed new MintUpdate, MintMenu, MintInstall. That's it.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 am

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

lllazarrr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lllazarrr » Thu May 20, 2010 8:39 am

It looks like there's no clear solution. I'll keep my eye on that thread, but manual reinstall and tweak seem inevitable :(

Return to “Newbie Questions”