Mint vs Ubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dhinds
Level 1
Level 1

Mint vs Ubuntu

Post by dhinds »

Both Ubuntu and Mint seem to run equally well from a live cd/dvd on this Thinkpad T-60 w/ a core duo cpu (32 bit) - I can navigate (although the wireless connection wasn't recognized), print, hear sound & see videos.

Other than the difference in menus, does either have an advantage over the other?
(I'm about ready to install one of them, the question is which)?

TIA for the orientation.

rimshot4
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint vs Ubuntu

Post by rimshot4 »

Ubuntu does not have codecs pre-installed. That means that DVDs, MP3s, MPEGs, etc., will NOT work out of the box. You have to install an additional package to get those media formats to work. And Flash never did work correctly on my desktop with Ubuntu, no matter how much I messed with it. Linux Mint, on the live CD and right after install, is able to play all those formats. Mint has a "Control Center" from which you can adjust all your settings. Mint is usually more intuitive than Ubuntu. The Mint 9 Software Center is marvelous.The MintMenu is easier than the standard Ubuntu menus. MintMenu also lets you do a instantaneous "filter search" directly from the menu. The community on Mint Forums tends to be a bit friendlier, IMHO, although both distros have good support communities.

Ubuntu's slogan used to be "Linux for Human Beings." But those human beings will have to be at least a little versed in linux. For example, there's a post in Ubuntu Forums showing that it's "easy" to move your window minimize, maximize and close buttons from their default postion on the Left (odd choice, but whatever) to the right--you just have to edit a script. Several, if you want it to look halfway decent. In MInt, on the other hands, you open "Desktop Settings" from the menu and choose "Windows Style" or "Mac Style" from the drop-down Menu. Mint comes with Compiz controls preinstalled and a Simple Compiz Controls program to give you basic functions without unnecessary details, if that's what you want. Linux Mint seems to focus more on useability and user choice.

I recommend you choose Linux Mint 9. If you turn it down and install Ubuntu, you may just have to install it later, as I did.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I'm going to refer you to another thread where the OP asked the exact same question:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47580
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

CodeCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CodeCat »

My impression is that Mint focuses more on user experience than Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems to want to stick to its principles a lot. They release on the exact release date rather than when the system is actually ready for release, which causes a lot of problems with critical bugs that remain unfixed in what is supposed to be a 'final' release. Ubuntu also doesn't include any non-free software, even when it would benefit the users to do so. Mint strongly prefers free software (as it should) but doesn't dismiss non-free software if it would improve things. A good example would be the inclusion of proprietary codecs for mp3 and such. Mint plays those out of the box, Ubuntu does not AFAIK.

dhinds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhinds »

Rimshot4, Vincent & CodeCat:

Thanks for the detailed and meaningful evaluations, which jive with my own limited experience so far.

Two years ago I couldn't get everything running on Ubuntu/Kubuntu and installed OpenSuse instead, but somethings didn't work there either. Later, I began to feel at home with Sabayon (Gentoo based) on another computer but it doesn't recognize my printer (for instance).

I can now get Ubuntu up and running with just a few configuration tweaks but the explanation you've provided has convinced me that this is what I'm looking for, in part because now everything works, in part because the orientation is consistent with my own pragmatic values and in part because the mutual support forum is good too - with no hassles.

I'll check earlier posts to learn more about what kind of partition scheme I need and post another query later if needed.

Thanks again.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

dhinds,

Here is a thread that may be helpful for you while you're investigating partition schemes:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21792
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

rosswmcgee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rosswmcgee »

I am a long time linux user. I run three distros, Ubuntu 10.04 on my wifes computer, Fedora 12 on one of mine and Mint 9 on the other. With out a doubt Mint 9 is the easiest to use. Unless you enjoy having to tweak things codecs etc. there is no reason to not go with Mint. The one thing Ubuntu will do is to upgrade which saves you the clean install, but a clean install is easy and leaves less room for error. Since most distros release every 6 months the ease of using
Mint is a big plus. I used to enjoy fooling around getting things to work, but actually it is a waste of time, better off to join Mensa.

Mensa, the high IQ society, provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members. There are members in more than 100 countries around the world.

Another thing in Mints favor its IRISH!

gregology
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregology »

I agree, maybe I'm an idiot but I was always having issues with flash on the older ubuntus.

Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff91 »

Mint is for sure the better of the two... Check the link in my sig for reasons why :)

~Jeff

hoboslobobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hoboslobobabe »

gregology wrote:I agree, maybe I'm an idiot but I was always having issues with flash on the older ubuntus.
rimshot4 wrote:... And Flash never did work correctly on my desktop with Ubuntu, no matter how much I messed with it. Linux Mint, on the live CD and right after install, is able to play all those formats...
I dont know what kind of flash you are reffering to, I havent seen any problems with flash animations.
But huge problems with flash videos.
And I wouldnt know why Mint should work better with Flash than Ubuntu which is base for mint.
If someone can elaborate on that, feel free.
Certainly there are differences but I dont think that Flash is one of them.

Personally for me, neither Ubuntu or mint work well with flash video.
I thought it was a bug first, but had to find out from several posts (also in this forum) that Linux generelly has issues with Flash, and it is said that Adobe is to blame.
No matter who's fault it is, it doesnt work (well enough for me at least), and that is the key point.
I was horrified when I found out about this flash problem that linux has.
I had never heard of it, and I was really astonished that it's not a major issue for linux users to care about.
It's like "yeah, we know linux has problems with flash, but it's not linux' fault so we can't do anything about, so whatever...".
I dunno bout other people, but to me that's K.O.Criteria for an OS no matter how much Adobe is to blame.
You always have to consider that Windows has like 95% of the PC market and besides all the flaws WIN may have, it works very well with flash.
So there you have the competiton.

I tried comedy central, particularly the daily show.
Video judders really badly in high resolution.
I tried SD full screen on youtube, 360p full and 480p full. Tearing and some judder, no fun to watch really.
Let me add, I tried it on a Celeron Tosh Satellite and a P4 single Core with 3ghz and 2gig Ram.
No Ubermachines, but way good enough for some Youtube action really.
Plus both have no problems at all with flash videos when running WindowsXP.

I also tried other DIstros, like Fedora (seems a little better with flash), PcLinuxOS and Puppy Linux.
None of them worked in a satisfying way.

So after trying and trying I really got tired, I am a default every day user, I need to have Flash Video working without any flaws.
And after investing several hours over several days I'm done with Linux as a standalone or dual boot system because the goal I had was to replace windows with it on a broad base and that's not possible yet.
For a live CD when I need to have a 100% certain virus/trojan free environment it's cool to use.
Still for a use like that I prefer Puppy, as it's small, starts relatively quick and loads completely in the ram, so it's pretty responsive opposed to the live CDs that always have to be read again and again whenever you start a process.
For the every day use I have to rely on Windows, for now at least.

regards
hobo

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Well, I think it mostly depends on your hardware...do you have an appropriate graphics driver for your card? For me, Youtube works just as well as it does in Windows, so as people often say, "your mileage may vary". Unfortunately, until hardware and software vendors start to offer serious support for Linux, "your mileage may vary" will remain a common quote.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

Jeff91 wrote:Mint is for sure the better of the two... Check the link in my sig for reasons why :)

~Jeff
I like your reason #2.
That's the best thing about Mint IMO.

It's been my experience that updates tend to break things in Ubuntu.

Return to “Newbie Questions”