Minor but somewhat annoying issues with XCFE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintcc
Level 1
Level 1

Minor but somewhat annoying issues with XCFE

Post by mintcc »

1. Settings > Keyboard Settings > Layouts tab
I cannot switch keyboard layouts between "us" and "us dvorak".
I set Layout to "us" Variant to null, and also a second Layout to "us", Variant to "dvorak". I also added "Keyboard Layout Switcher" to the Panel.

The only way I can change it to dvorak is to hard code it into /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But I want to be able to switch between keyboard layouts.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

2. How do you set the desktop to allow single clicking on an icon?

3. I am using an Acer Aspire 3500 series laptop and the touchpad dragging does not work. Am I missing a driver?

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

4. I could not get 1280x800 video resolution except by editing xorg.conf. Now that it is edited, it works, but Settings > Display Settings > Resolution still does not list 1280x800 resolution after I made the edits in xorg.conf. I just think this is strange since the resolution on the desktop is 1280x800.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't know about 1 and 2
but for the touchpad search for touchpad in the forum and one of the results is
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... pad&t=3581
which may solve it for you - if not check the other posts you get, some of them are helpful
and #4
display settings is not a frontend to xorg.conf and that's why it does not reflect the new setting. It should but I don't know the xfce edition well enough to see the error Right now I can't boot into xfce as the partition table of that computer got screwed up - I have to boot the only bootable distro and change all the menu.lst in the other partitions :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”