Opening terminal kicks me off desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

128 MB RAM
How the .... did you manage to install?
I think the answer is there - there is not enough memory to handle an open terminal
Not that it takes much (about 5 MB) but you are way below the normal limit!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

And maybe it's defective RAM too? Even if there is not enough RAM it shouldn't kick you out of your desktop session. I too have a very low-spec laptop (Sony VAIO C1 VFK with a Transmeta Crusoe CPU @600 MHz + 192 MB RAM) and although everything is super-duper *SLOW* and takes ages to load my desktop doesn't die all of a sudden ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Nelson wrote: I had a 256K linux swap partition .
256K? You surely mean 256 MB. Installing Linux on a system with only a 256K swap partition would be an interesting 'stunt' I'd really like to witness :D

It's strange that GoogleEarth which is really resource hungry works tip top but the Terminal doesn't. What happens if you open a different terminal? e.g. xterm ... it's a really really small app and I wonder if this one would load?

Return to “Beginner Questions”