cd rip ripping

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paddyo2

cd rip ripping

Post by paddyo2 »

i'll offer this for what it's worth. was checking the forums and programs to rip cds, and as a newbie ended up somewhat confused. then i thought of something i used to do on imac. insert the cd and open it by clicking on its icon when it comes up. then just drag the files on to your desktop or into a folder. with a commercial cd you'll have the files in .wav and you can run them through vlc conversion if you prefer .flac. to these ears there is no difference. even on burned cds i have found that even 56kbps files sometimes come out as .wav lossless, sometimes better quality mp3s.which is great if you have a few obscure cds of burned music but maybe not of brilliant quality. i'm not sure but i think windows media player rips at whatever rate somehow as lossless but locks the file at the selected rate to improve the speed factor but that is often reversed when the files are dragged on to the desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: cd rip ripping

Post by Midnighter »

I just use Asunder. :)
mmskywalker

Post by mmskywalker »

Hello,
i use Sound Juicer which is the built in CD ripper of Rhythmbox in Isadora. I also discovered the right GStreamer adjustments for 192 kbps and 320 kbps (preset in Sound Juicer is only 128 kbps).
It works fine and all information for the ID3 tags is loaded automatically from the internet.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

+1 for Sound Juicer
runbux

Post by runbux »

Yes, it might work. however the countdown time starts at 400 minutes to go -- that's over 6-1/2 hours to rip an audio CD? Most ripper software just stalled when started. Sound-juicer and asunder both indicated REALLY outrageous countdown times.

Is there a CD ripper for Mint that works?

Also, see my post about "crip" ripper. It saved files into a directory where I am denied permission to delete them. I am DONE with that command line! it never works as described anywhere on the web for any Linux flavor in existence. NEVER!

CD ripping has always been so EASY and fast on any other OS I have used.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

400 minutes? Uhh, no. Should take about 10 minutes, perhaps a bit more, depending. If you're getting that kinda feedback, then something is wrong with your discs or disc drive. I've NEVER had a prob with ripping. Always easy, and fast. Juice Ripper is fine, just prefer Asunder. A little more fine control. Both rip and convert fine, don't recall actual times, but nothing at all like you describe. Problem must be on your end.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Sounds like a drive problem, Have you checked it :?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

RubyRipper is the best CD ripper that I've found for Linux. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... Rubyripper
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

i use Sound Juicer which is the built in CD ripper of Rhythmbox in Isadora. I also discovered the right GStreamer adjustments for 192 kbps and 320 kbps (preset in Sound Juicer is only 128 kbps).
It works fine and all information for the ID3 tags is loaded automatically from the internet.
I have found that if I rip to flac first, I'll retain the high bit rates (and large files). From there, I use soundconverter to rip down to mp3 at high bit rates (I think at 320kbs these days). Another step and more storage space, but having the original high quality files is worth it for me.

-DataMan
runbux

Post by runbux »

[Sounds like a drive problem ...]

That's what I thought, too. But it is fully functional for other things. I can rip a 6-gig DVD pretty darn quick.

I'll check it again.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

A relatively unknown fact for your info, the drives use separate lasers for reading dvd's and cd's, so just because one works fine does not mean the other is also. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Beginner Questions”