A lot of help for this newbie..pls

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tinman
Level 1
Level 1

A lot of help for this newbie..pls

Post by tinman »

Hai first of all i'm new here... so go easy on me.... i have mint 8 ..now a couple of questions

*How can i change that bootscreen i want to have a normal progress bar based boot screen. (its called splash --i think)
*Now the startup is pretty slow..it nearly took 40 seconds for my desktop to emerge after logging in... any help would be appreciated.
*Can i use the Debian 5 dvd for it's software content????

Also guys if i want to upgrade to mint 9 how much time would it take and how much should i download..just wanted to know because i have a download speed of only 31.1Kb/ps.
I'm also new to linux.... and also guys karmic was vista on my system, so thanks a bunch for releasing helena in time... and she is beautiful..Also i dont know if its me but did u guys see anything wrong with the fonts in ubuntu lucid ..it's just that mine were a bit cranky by the edges...

Thanks.

~tinman

germanix
Level 3
Level 3

Re: A lot of help for this newbie..pls

Post by germanix »

The bootscreen you can change when you go to the Menu>control centre>startup manager. I have never done it myself so I do not want to give you further directions in this regard. It would be a case of the blind leading the blind.
Your startup of 40 seconds is actually not that slow. Depends in some respect on your hardware but you can go to preferences>startup applications and see which applications all start up at boot and tweak it. be careful however what you remove from the startup but the less you have there the quicker the system will boot.
I do not know about the Debian 5 DVD.
An upgrade takes about half an hour and just download the CD version, the DVD version takes a lot longer
a man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

garda
Level 5
Level 5

Post by garda »

tinman wrote: *Can i use the Debian 5 dvd for it's software content????
Yes, you can install software from Debian 5 DVD, but you'll probably get undesirable outcomes by doing so. ;)

Even Ubuntu isn't compatible with Debian packages anymore.

Mr. Alex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr. Alex »

*Can i use the Debian 5 dvd for it's software content????
You better don't. There might be conflicts with Ubuntu's repositories.

tinman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tinman »

ok..thanks guys.

~tinman

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

While Ubuntu/Mint is based on Debian .... the repositories and kernel are not compatible nor are they inter-changable.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Newbie Questions”