[SOLVED] stop authencation/password prompts!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Knowledge
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] stop authencation/password prompts!

Post by Knowledge »

how do i stop the prompts asking for my password?
Last edited by Knowledge on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual T3200 @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
DVD/CD Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N
xubunterooster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: stop authencation/password prompts!

Post by xubunterooster »

The only way is to run as root (taboo in most Linux forums but it works)
The SABRFL
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

you need to edit some setting to sudoers.. cant recall it right now, search for it yourself, use google.. there's plenty of tutorial for it around the net..
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

They are there for a reason. If you disable them by logging in as root you pretty much void the security of your system.

But if you must know how, first boot back into Windows 7 turn off any and all firewalls an anti-virus programs and then Google "The best places to get a computer virus." And then surf the results for while until you get a BSOD. :lol:

Seriously you wouldn't do that I hope but one of the main features of Linux is security. If you want security don't login as root and you're going to have to put up with password checks when you do administrative tasks. If you don't want security do what I said in my first suggestion.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

While you can disable password prompts, you really shouldn't.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rekik »

My work-around is to use a very shot password
alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 »

how do you log in as root in mint?

I am used to the old red hat and solaris systems - where we either login as 'root' or use su command to become root while logged in as user.
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

"su" works in Linux as well, although with Mint and other Ubuntu-derived distros, "sudo" is widely preferred. Either way works fine, so it's up to you which method you'd want to use.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

rekik wrote:My work-around is to use a very shot password
That's pretty much what I do, except instead of a very short password I use an easy to remember one.
I guess I don't see the big deal with typing a password every now and then. Very few programs really need(or should have) root privileges anyway.
I wonder if the OP leaves his house unlocked all the time because he doesn't want to be bothered with getting his keys out of his pocket whenever he comes home :lol:
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
Knowledge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knowledge »

JasonLG wrote:
rekik wrote:My work-around is to use a very shot password
That's pretty much what I do, except instead of a very short password I use an easy to remember one.
I guess I don't see the big deal with typing a password every now and then. Very few programs really need(or should have) root privileges anyway.
I wonder if the OP leaves his house unlocked all the time because he doesn't want to be bothered with getting his keys out of his pocket whenever he comes home :lol:
:lol: i get it now.....so i guess thread closed/finished
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual T3200 @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
DVD/CD Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N
alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 »

vincent wrote:"su" works in Linux as well, although with Mint and other Ubuntu-derived distros, "sudo" is widely preferred. Either way works fine, so it's up to you which method you'd want to use.
thanks, I thought su has become obsolete in *buntu distros.

What about first question?
How to login as "root"?
Or it is disabled?
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

alpha1 wrote:
vincent wrote:"su" works in Linux as well, although with Mint and other Ubuntu-derived distros, "sudo" is widely preferred. Either way works fine, so it's up to you which method you'd want to use.
thanks, I thought su has become obsolete in *buntu distros.

What about first question?
How to login as "root"?
Or it is disabled?
The axiom goes that if you knew enough to know how you wouldn't, and if you don't you shouldn't.
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] stop authencation/password prompts!

Post by vincent »

To expand a bit more on JasonLG's reply, it is strongly recommended by Ubuntu and Mint NOT to login as root via the GUI.

A few quotes from the following Ubuntu community page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootS ... %20account
Enabling the root account is rarely necessary. Almost everything you need to do as administrator of an Ubuntu system can be done via sudo or gksudo. If you really need a persistent root login, the best alternative is to simulate a root login shell using the following command...[sudo -i]
Logging in to X as root may cause very serious trouble. If you believe you need a root account to perform a certain action, please consult the official support channels first, to make sure there is not a better alternative.
But yes, if you want to do it, it is possible. At the graphical login screen, you can login as root with username "root" and root's password, which by default in Ubuntu is gibberish (you have to set it yourself) and by default in Mint, it's your user password.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] stop authencation/password prompts!

Post by alpha1 »

thanks.

Return to “Newbie Questions”