password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kimwkcg
Level 1
Level 1

password

Post by kimwkcg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi! Just registered. Have had linux for a while but very new to me still. Keep noticing at bottom right of screen the unlocked lock. It tells me there are 109 updates available. Ok I tried but it tells me I need a password. Obviously not the one I just registered or does this take time?

chattr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: password

Post by chattr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:46 pm

When you are asked for the password, you need to type your password. The password you type is the one you use to login to your machine. So, if your password is 'unhappy' (without the quotes), you type in 'unhappy' (without the quotes). (The letters in your password, and numbers if there are numbers in it, will not get displayed.)

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 pm

It is looking for your root password. This is the same password you supplied when you installed Mint. If you only created one user when you installed Mint, it will be the same as your user password. In other places you may see it called the password for sudo.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 am

dawgdoc wrote:It is looking for your root password. This is the same password you supplied when you installed Mint. If you only created one user when you installed Mint, it will be the same as your user password. In other places you may see it called the password for sudo.
It is not root password, it is the user's password. It is so, because the user is listed as "sudoer"

Return to “Newbie Questions”