kde on mint9

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

kde on mint9

Post by eMINT » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:48 am

the fact that the mint 9 KDE version wasnt released jet.. means that

option 1: if i add KDE from the software manager in a Gnome mint 9 it will run improperly i mean with bugs??

option2: the .iso version to install mint 9 with KDE as main Desktop Enviroment isnt finished, but option 1 will work great??

thx

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: kde on mint9

Post by JasonLG » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 am

eMINT wrote:the fact that the mint 9 KDE version wasnt released jet.. means that

option 1: if i add KDE from the software manager in a Gnome mint 9 it will run improperly i mean with bugs??

option2: the .iso version to install mint 9 with KDE as main Desktop Enviroment isnt finished, but option 1 will work great??

thx
If you add KDE to a Mint 9 Gnome iso you'll basically get Kubuntu thrown on top of Mint. And it will pretty much double the size of your install. Your best bet is to just wait for the KDE version to be released it's in testing right now and shouldn't be long.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

GhoS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GhoS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:42 am

Yea not a good idea to install KDE in a Gnome system. I did it, and while I didn't run into a problem with things not working, I had duplicate programs and as I discovered later when I reinstalled to a straight KDE, I had had some elements that weren't really correct (in the KDE over Gnome).
So if you want KDE, either use Mint 8 in a virtual machine or fresh install or wait for 9 KDE. Its taking them awhile to get it out because it appears they have a couple of serious bugs to fix and the mint team doesn't want to release an inferior product.

eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eMINT » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm

ok thanks for the answers, i thought that i could install another window manager and choose it at the log in like changing g-nome and xfce..

thx very much...

anothes issue, if i migrate to a fresh install with kde (when its ready) will the back up tool do the right job? i mean backing up in gnome and restoring in kde...

Return to “Newbie Questions”