Setting sensors limits ??? Grub2 problem?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bari
Level 1
Level 1

Setting sensors limits ??? Grub2 problem?

Post by Bari »

Hi running mint 9, on startup just now I got the Mint 9 splash with the four dots underneath which glowed reassuringly then just before the desk top came up a line of text appeared at the end of the dots that said 'setting sensors limits'. I've not had this before can anyone tell me what it means please.
Bari
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Setting sensors limits ??? Grub2 problem?

Post by Bari »

I am now thinking I have a grub problem as every time I alter some thing with the startup manager to do with grub I get the nvidia failed to load message I am also getting radom bits of text on startup and shutdown also on the checking discs pressing C does not stop the check and when the check is finished the boot sequence hangs and does nothing.
I.m thinking of going back a couple of versions at least they performed without any problems. any help would be appreciated.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I get the same errors, for Lxde Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10 equivalence) desktop, and ignore it as it does not affect any of the desktop setup or the applications installed..

And i haven't even fixed the splash screen to get the closer to normal mint menu splash on boot
--I can safely ignore it until some update via ubuntu fixes the minor errors
Bari
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bari »

This has got a lot worse. I am now getting nvidia splash screens on start up and most of the time now I have to start in low graphics mode and do a nvidia-config and a restart to get things working. Have gone back to Ubuntu 10.4 and so far its as steady as a rock. A pity as I used mint 7 since it came out until I installed this latest version.
Duysterwald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Duysterwald »

I just booted up my computer and got the same "Setting sensors limits" message in the splash screen (except that I got "OK" at the end of that sentence, indicating the process was successful). I have never encountered this before, and I don't know how this came about, since I haven't been tinkering with my system in any way - but I wonder what it means. Obviously, it has got to do with the sensors on the motherboard, e.g. the ones that detect the temperature of the CPU. Does receiving this message mean that something is amiss with the sensors, that Mint 'lost track of them' and had to redefine its settings for it or something? :?

Either way, I hope it isn't a serious problem. :|

I see that this thread is almost a year old, and that evidently, this specific problem unfortunately has not been fixed since Mint 9 (since I'm running the 64-bit version of Mint 10). Hopefully it will finally be fixed in Mint 11. :)
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Have a quick look here (Ubuntu 10.10) and see if it helps you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=34130

Return to “Newbie Questions”