How to delete a password on the login screen?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
shekkieface
Level 1
Level 1

How to delete a password on the login screen?

Post by shekkieface » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 pm

In windows you have to boot into safe mode and goto the administrator account and delete the users login password to change it or delete the password.
But how do I do a similar process with linux?

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to delete a password on the login screen?

Post by JasonLG » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:12 am

Mint Menu> Control Center> Users and Groups. You can't not have a password in Linux.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

Cheesethief
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cheesethief » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 am

JasonLG wrote:Mint Menu> Control Center> Users and Groups. You can't not have a password in Linux.
Yep. The only thing you can do is disable the password as a requirement to log in, or disable the login menu so it just goes to your desktop. That's how I have mine set up.
Desktop: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB: Windows 8.1 Pro
Laptop: Intel Core i7-2675QM 2.2GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M/Intel HD Graphics 3000: Linux Mint 17.1
Server: Raspberry Pi Model B: Raspbian Wheezy

shekkieface
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shekkieface » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Those answers are assuming you know the password to login to the system. What if you don't know the password and you can't recover it.

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:54 pm

shekkieface wrote:Those answers are assuming you know the password to login to the system. What if you don't know the password and you can't recover it.
You could try this tutorial, it's for Ubuntu but might work in Mint since Mint is derived from Ubuntu.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Edit: This might not work after all because Mint actually uses the same password for root as the one you login as.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

Return to “Newbie Questions”