Damaged locale file now GUI won't load

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
iztel
Level 1
Level 1

Damaged locale file now GUI won't load

Post by iztel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:17 am

I spent a lot of time today trying to get a Chinese program run in wine to display Chinese characters instead of the squares and strange symbols with no luck. Reading through some tutorials one mentioned changing the locale. Long story short the locale file has been changed to something along the lines of "Lang=CN_zh wine something" and now the OS starts up with an error message saying "ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode." then a window with options to reconfigure graphiscs, troubleshoot the error, exit to console login and restart X appears.Is it possible to change the locale file back to English and recovery the system? I'm really hoping I don't need to completely reformat the HD.

chattr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Damaged locale file now GUI won't load

Post by chattr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Is it possible to change the locale file back to English
Your default locale is specified in the text file /etc/default/locale .

The content of mine is

Code: Select all

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
You can see the content of your by opening a terminal and typing

Code: Select all

cat /etc/default/locale
Try changing your /etc/default/locale to that. You should include the double quotes.

If when you open a terminal, you get Chinese characters displayed, you can boot off of the live cd and fix /etc/default/locale . For the steps to take when you boot off of the live cd, open your irc program (might be xchat) and join #linuxmint-help .

iztel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Damaged locale file now GUI won't load

Post by iztel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 am

Thank you so much. I opened the file using nano and now my OS is back working fine. Is there an easy way to run a program in wine using the Chinese locale so it will display the Chinese characters?

Return to “Newbie Questions”