(Solved)Create a customized Mint9 live iso and install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mintnewbie63
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved)Create a customized Mint9 live iso and install

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hello to everyone
I have installed Puppy4.2.1 in a usb flash drive, also by using Ubuntu Customization Kit I was able to create a custom Ubuntu live iso but without any proprietory codecs or software like Skype, Picasa. I would like to know if there is a way to create a custom Mint9 live iso with all the codecs and skype, picasa, and install it in a usb flash drive?

Kind regards,
Gary
Last edited by mintnewbie63 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Linux is ridding on a flying boxing kangaroo and taking the world by storm : motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Create a customized Mint9 live iso and install on usb ke

Post by phd7 »

well i did something similar simply by installing mint 8 on a usb stick using the standard install procedure and formatting and installing on sdb1 or whatever it was called, from the dropdown list inthe installer. Dont know if thats what you are looking for as it is the same as a normal distro where I could save files to it etc, as opposed to a live one where nothing is saved.
mintnewbie63
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved)Create a customized Mint9 live iso and install

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hello and Thank you phd7 for your advice on installing Mint9 on usb stick, I was not sure if I could add software or files after the installation to the usb stick had taken place, I tried to create the iso image with all the extra software by using Remastersys which gave me an iso 3.7Gb in size, but I must have had a problem while burning it with Brasero, so I took your advise and installed a normal iso image to the usb stick.
:Linux is ridding on a flying boxing kangaroo and taking the world by storm : motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (Solved)Create a customized Mint9 live iso and install

Post by phd7 »

Glad to help.
What filesystem did you use.? Ext4 will write a lot more to the stick than ext2. If you're not using it all the time I wouldnt say it matters. There is debate regarding the extra security of ext4 vs the longer life of the stick with ext2. There are threads out there on the topic.

I take it you know now that you can boot into mint from any computer that can boot from a USB device. Impress your friends! Confound your enemies! :o

Return to “Newbie Questions”