So since Linux is Ubuntu, & Ubuntu is Debian...... then ....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

So since Linux is Ubuntu, & Ubuntu is Debian...... then ....

Post by bruceleejr »

Since Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu & Ubuntu is Debian-based... if I install an XFCE desktop (because I hate gnome) on LinuxMint... will the Ubuntu Gnome applications work~???

Like, I am trying to capture video from my capture device, I tried Kino (for Ubuntu I guess) but it was giving me some kind of error.

Okay what I am trying to say is... I see ALOT of applications that I want that are only for Ubuntu. I install them on my XFCE desktop & they don't work (arrggh~!!)

Do all applications work with XFCE~?? Are there only certain applications that work with Gnome/KDE/LXDE~???? What if I like an application that says "gnome-capture" etc etc,.... that means it would not work on my XFCE desktop, right~??
bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: So since Linux is Ubuntu, & Ubuntu is Debian...... then

Post by bruceleejr »

Also, is there some kind of applications database specifically for Linux Mint distro~?
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

If you want Xfce, I strongly encourage you to use the Linux Mint Xfce edition instead of installing the Xfce metapackages on your system. It's like the difference between installing Xubuntu and having Xfce set-up out of the box, and trying to pull in all the Xfce packages you need manually in Ubuntu.

Linux Mint is (theoretically) 100% binary-compatible with Ubuntu. Anything that you pick up from the official repos should work properly; if not, you're going to have to give us more details about the problems and errors you're facing for us to help you.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

GNOME apps will work fine with Xfce, but if you use Nautilus in Xfce then you should use nautilus --no-desktop to keep Nautilus from taking over the desktop.

By the way, unlike others here, I prefer to install Xfce myself instead of use the Mint Xfce CE version, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox and LXDE are Desktop Environments. Openbox is a Window Manager.
Desktop Environments usually work independent of each other.

An Application or Program ... all applications work separate from the DE/WM ... and don't care where they are installed. They usually all work in any Desktop Environment.
All applications in the Synaptic Package Manager will work in either Desktop Environment you select (usually) ... Gnome, KDE or Xfce.

Since, LinuxMint is, closely, based on Ubuntu ... all packages and applications are compatible with Ubuntu and are pretty much inter-changeable.

Now, Ubuntu is loosely based on Debian . . . but, the Ubuntu Devs have changed everything, so much ... that Ubuntu and Debian are NOT compatible nor are they interchangeable.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bruceleejr »

Okay so ..... How can I install XFCE in Linux Mint~???

I seen something like "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" and it installed XFCE. ( I THINK )

Is this the same as XFCE~?? Because I know Xubuntu uses XFCE.
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

bruceleejr wrote:Okay so ..... How can I install XFCE in Linux Mint~???

I seen something like "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" and it installed XFCE. ( I THINK )

Is this the same as XFCE~?? Because I know Xubuntu uses XFCE.
No !!!

Open the Synaptic Package Manager and search for Xfce Meta-package ... install that.
Re-boot. At the Log-in window, at the bottom, click on "Session" ... click on "Xfce Session".

Done.

** Of course, the Mint Devs are working on Mint-9 Xfce edition ... coming soon. This is the preferred method of getting the Xfce desktop.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bruceleejr »

Wow, that easy, Okay I will try that. Thanks.

Ps- will these applications works with it > goodies.xfce.org ~???

Return to “Newbie Questions”