[SOLVED] linux mint 9 shuts down when booting live cd

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cookingfat

[SOLVED] linux mint 9 shuts down when booting live cd

Post by cookingfat »

Hi all, I'm very new to linux and want to try it out for the first time. (please go easy on me :oops: )

I downloaded and burnt this linux mint 9 iso - http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=54 to a dvd

and when I boot from the disc it shows the linux splash screen, then a message appears telling me to remove the disc and close the tray and press enter, and the PC shuts down completely.

before the splash screen it does show a warning that critical temperature has been reached 77C, system will shut down, does this have anything to do with it?

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: linux mint 9 shuts down when booting live cd

Post by phd7 »

are you sure it downloaded properly~? did you check the md5sum?

If thats okay , I would try burning at a slower speed.

I am guessing the temperature message is a fault in the file
cookingfat

Post by cookingfat »

I checked the iso md5 using hashtabs and got the green tick, but by default my software burnt it at maximum speed. I'll try burning at the slowest speed possible and post back with the results. Could it be a hardware problem?
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

what are your macnhine specs?
I assume you checked for compatibility before deciding to install.
If mint isnt compatible which is unlikely, then I fail to see where a temperature warning came up.
cookingfat

Post by cookingfat »

:oops: I assumed it would just be compatible but here goes >

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2.01GHz, 1.00GB RAM
ATI Radeon Graphics card (can't remember exactly which one, could be 9550)
250GB IDE Hard drive (western digital Ithink)
cookingfat

Post by cookingfat »

ok, so I burnt the disc at 1.0x speed and exactly the same happens. I tried the disc in my laptop and it boots fine and I get the linux mint desktop (but the mouse pad doesn't work)

Could it be anything to do with my bios settings?

pls help a newb..
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

It seems to think the pc is over-heating, and shuts down to protect it. I'd check your settings regarding temp warnings in bios, and see how hot the damn thing can get before it shuts itself down.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

if it installs in a laptop then I have to agree with midnighter. if its out of warranty, either get it looked at or open it up and see if theres a load of dust or something inside. Does your fan work? I fixed a TV before just by cleaning the crap that was inside. Check the vents in the cover also. are they blocked with dust?
cookingfat

Post by cookingfat »

yep, it seems the CPU is too hot. here's how it runs >

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ ... soltek.jpg

I cleaned all the dust out last week as well (not very well though), all the fans work too. The machine is about 6 years old but has never had any of the hardware changed in it's life. Would it be a good idea to remove the CPU, clean and replace it with fresh thermal paste?

any ideas how to fix this?

thanks
Last edited by cookingfat on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

cookingfat wrote:yep, it seems the CPU is too hot. here's how it runs >

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/ ... soltek.jpg

I cleaned all the dust out last week as well, all the fans work too. The machine is about 6 years old but has never had any of the hardware changed in it's life. Would it be a good idea to remove the CPU, clean and replace it with fresh thermal paste?

any ideas how to fix this?

thanks

Yeah, from that it's def shutting down to protect the pc, def too hot. If it starts getting over 70, you should be concerned, so yeah, that is too hot. It CAN cope with that heat, but not for long, and it shouldn't be doing that temp just loading up. Can you imagine how hot it must get when it has to actually do stuff?

Open it, and blow all the crap out of it with a can of compressed air, check all the fans are clean of crap, and all the vents are clear so it can "breath". Also, how warm is the room it's in? They work better in a cool enviro. Cold is better for pc actually, but since the operators usually don't like cold, cool/not warm is fine. If after cleanming it up, blowing all dust and crap clear, is still running hot, then think about re-doing the thermal paste, but wouldn't worry about it first, would worry about obvious stuff, like dust and accumulated crap that blocks air movement, and builds up/absorbs heat.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
cookingfat

Post by cookingfat »

Thanks for your advice, Midnighter. When watching a HD youtube video it goes up to 89C!!

In the last 6 years, I've never actually checked the temperatures and stuff, so I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has. I rarely ever switch it off either!

I shut it off all night and tried today and it got to the linux mint desktop (which I'm using now after I figured I needed to install adblockplus to actually even view the forum)

So for now it's running, but I'm also really concerned about the CPU temp, so I'm going to take your advice, clean it all out again (a bit more thoroughly this time) and maybe put the case somewhere less confined so it keeps the temp low.

Once again, thanks.
cookingfat

Re: [SOLVED] linux mint 9 shuts down when booting live cd

Post by cookingfat »

Ok, I thoroughly cleaned out the inside of the PC today and it really needed it after 6 years of being pretty much on all the time.

After removing the CPU fan, I couldn't even see the heatsink, there was a thick layer of crusty dust about 2cm thick covering it, so half an hour's work and a lot of compressed air, and cleaning all the case fans properly, the CPU temp has dropped from 85C-89C to a stable 48C.

I'm happy now, thanks everyone.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [SOLVED] linux mint 9 shuts down when booting live cd

Post by JoeFootball »

cookingfat wrote:After removing the CPU fan, I couldn't even see the heatsink, there was a thick layer of crusty dust about 2cm thick covering it, so half an hour's work and a lot of compressed air, and cleaning all the case fans properly, the CPU temp has dropped from 85C-89C to a stable 48C.
Ha! Yes, that would certainly be a hindrance to proper cooling. :) For the future, I've found that careful vacuuming does a better/cleaner job of dust removal than compressed air.

Joe

Return to “Beginner Questions”