How make a program the default one for powerpoint..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
shekkieface
Level 1
Level 1

How make a program the default one for powerpoint..

Post by shekkieface » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:00 pm

I installed Microsoft Office and Openoffice and I want open office to be the default opener because powerpoint in office doesn't work and it crashes all the time. How do I make openoffice the default program?

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: How make a program the default one for powerpoint..

Post by proxima_centauri » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 pm

If you installed Powerpoint with Wine, than you need to make one change before it will run. Else it crashes before you can use it.
In order to run Powerpoint 2007, you must set riched20.dll to (native) in winecfg. Note that you do not have to copy the dll from a Windows partition or use winetricks to install it. Office 2007 installs its own version of richedit in a private directory, but Wine will not use it unless you set the override. Do not set the override globally unless you have Office installed in a separate wineprefix.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=12813

If you still want Openoffice to be the default, right-click the ppt file, go to Properties -> Open With tab, and change the default.

shekkieface
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shekkieface » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:51 am

I opened up wine configurations but I don't know where riched20.dll is located at. Can you give a easy tutorial, thanks.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 am

After opening go to the Libraries tab. -> http://porpoisehead.net/mysw/images/winecfg.png
Under new override for library, select riched20 from the drop-down menu and click Add.

shekkieface
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shekkieface » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:21 pm

thank you, it worked!

Return to “Newbie Questions”