video problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prohc
Level 1
Level 1

video problems

Post by prohc »

At the moment I am running Linux mint 8 and wanted to wipe it out and install Linux Mint 9 “Isadora”. The problem I am having is that once I tell it to start the live cd the video goes blank. You can hear it log into windows but no video. Is there a way of installing the drivers for the video before you start the Live DVD? The video card is a GT9600 512 megs of ram if this help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: video problems

Post by vincent »

Try adding "nomodeset" as one of your boot options when you start Linux Mint, or try starting in compatibility mode. If your computer worked with Mint 8 flawlessly but not with Mint 9, then the most likely culprit is KMS...nomodeset should disable it. And no, you cannot install drivers prior to installing Mint.
prohc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by prohc »

The compatibility mode didn't work. Same thing. I'm not sure how to add nomodeset unless you edit the grub and remake the disk?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

This post provides a link to using nomodeset and how to make it permanent. It also gives some information about Kernel Modesetting, KMS, and a link for more information.

If this does not resolve the issue search for VESA, it is a different problem which can cause a black screen at boot.

Return to “Beginner Questions”