Parallels 5 Tools: kernel source

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Parallels 5 Tools: kernel source

Post by locutus »

I'm trying to install M9-KDE on a mac using Parallels 5. Installed fine, now trying to install Parallels-Tools and it keeps choking on the fact that "kernel source" is not installed. What am I missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: Parallels 5 Tools: kernel source

Post by piratesmack »

I've never used Parallels, but I assume 'Parallels-Tools' is the same as 'Guest Additions' in Virtualbox?

Try installing these packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Looked promising, the installer didn't say I had to install any more packages, it just stopped saying "error, press Enter to exit".

I'm using a Macbook which has a 13.3 inch screen which translates into a resolution of 1280x800 max. Mint begins with 1920x1080 so I'm constantly pressing <control>+<alt> to go back to Mac, scroll up/down/left/right then clicking in Mint window, making a selection, then exiting Mint to scroll again, going back into Mint to press apply... you get the frustration?

Is there a way to instruct the installer to start with a default resolution? Reinstalling? Because if not I'm done :-(
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Have you tried running Mint as a live CD to see if your screen resolution problems still exist? It might simply be a problem due to Parallels.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

vincent wrote:Have you tried running Mint as a live CD to see if your screen resolution problems still exist? It might simply be a problem due to Parallels.
Could be, Parallels-tools was to fix that by supplying a Mac display driver that could make any odd-size resolution usable, eg: 1240x625 or whatever, but I couldn't get them installed this time.

Ironic, my Mint days go back to version 2 "Barbara" when I had an 18" screen on my desktop computer, and I was always frustrated that Mint would default to 800x600 (when I could handle 1280x1024) until I manually installed the nVidia driver. I've been away for over a year now and things seem to have changed! I have a laptop with a smaller screen but Mint defaults to 1080p HDTV resolution!
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Installing from a DVD gave better font sizes and a 1024x768 resolution: better but not what I want. Installing Parallel-tools just hung; I gave it half an hour then killed it. I'll try once more with Virtualbox before giving up.
Meggeler

Post by Meggeler »

locutus wrote:Installing from a DVD gave better font sizes and a 1024x768 resolution: better but not what I want. Installing Parallel-tools just hung; I gave it half an hour then killed it. I'll try once more with Virtualbox before giving up.
Have you found a fix? I need 1920x1200 - 24' iMac and I'm running on Parallels. That 1024x768 crosses my eyes :http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 0&p=299424#) - being old, it takes a while for me to get my sight back http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 0&p=299424#.

I don't know about Parallels tools in Linux, Can it help?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Meggeler wrote: Have you found a fix? I need 1920x1200 - 24' iMac and I'm running on Parallels. That 1024x768 crosses my eyes :http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 0&p=299424#) - being old, it takes a while for me to get my sight back http://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php ... 0&p=299424#.

I don't know about Parallels tools in Linux, Can it help?
Parallels gives a large resolution, or at least it did for me. Parallels tools installs their own "video card" driver to fit your screen size and your mouse passes smoothly from one OS to the other, changing from black to white so you can tell which OS will capture a click. Install Tools and I would think your problems would disappear.
Meggeler

Post by Meggeler »

Sorry I was going to 'princess' but won't I'll just delete Mint 9. Sorry, next email announcement I'll try again.
Maybe 10? How can I recommend it if I can't run it?

Return to “Beginner Questions”