Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" crash problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bobhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" crash problem

Post by bobhosking » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:48 pm

I have a frequent problem with Linux Mint version 9 crashing. The error message that I receive reads: (process 238): GLib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r( ): failed due to unknown user id (0

Is this problem related to Mozilla Firefox?

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? It is very annoying, especially when I'm in the middle of something.
Last edited by bobhosking on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" crash problem

Post by remoulder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:07 am

Unfortunately there is no simple or easy fix for this problem, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1443231. The number at the beginning is the process id and you can use this to try and identify which process is causing the problem and maybe(?) this will help? To do this open a terminal (Ctl+Alt+T) and enter ps -e then look through the list to see if the process id is there and what it represents. You 'may' be able to kill the process with kill <process id, but this may not be possible and/or help with the problem.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

bobhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobhosking » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

I tried what you recommended but could not find a process 238 or a command line that had any of the characters getpwuid-r or pwuid-r in that directory. I saw on the link you provided that this was a common problem with other versions of ubuntu, but did not see many reporting this problem with Isadora. Is this because there are relatively fewer users running the Isadora version or is this a synonymy thing? Is there a users guide specific for the Isadora version that I can read? Any other suggestions on how to fix this problem? I simply cannot use an operating system that crashes regularly like this one does.

Dave68
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave68 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:03 am

Mint, in general, is a derivitive of Ubuntu albeit more polished. There are various versions of Mint (Standard (GDE), LXDE (Might be a good alternative. Very light weight, and the problem you are having was the reason I switched to the LXDE Version. No problem for me in that DE=Desktop Environment), XFCE RC=Release Candidate (Another lightweight DE which I like very much.) and KDE (A lot of bling with this one, as well as a higher resources demand and similar to GDE (Gnome))

The information you are requesting can be found here:
ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/d ... sh_8.1.pdf

Hope this Helps,
Dave
Linux User: 528038
Primary PC: Version: LMDE (201101), 32 Bit.
Alternate 1: Version: Peppermint One OS, 32 Bit.
Laptop: Version: Julia Main (10), AMD 64

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:14 am

bobhosking wrote:could not find a process 238 or a command line that had any of the characters getpwuid-r or pwuid-r
You might only see this number if you were running the process causing the error and there's no guarantee the number would be the same everytime. If you can't find the process, it's probably already terminated by the time you get the error. You could look in the syslog to see if there's anything there (Administration | Log File Viewer). Also you misunderstand what you were looking for, you won't see the error message in the process list, only names of applications/system processes, you need to identify the application or process that was causing the error.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

bobhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobhosking » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:24 am

Dave thanks for your reply,

I think I'm currently using the LXDE version because when I right click on the menu and then click on the about star the LXPanel 0.5.5 comes up which reads "desktop panel for LXDE project. Maybe I'll need to try another version.

By the way, when I clicked on the link you provided I received the following error message: 550 /pub/linuxmint.com/d: No such file or directory

Thanks,

Bob

bobhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobhosking » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks Remolder,

I understood what you were telling me to look for, only I thought the error message might contain some of the same character strings as the process name that is causing the system to crash. The process number "238" is consistent every time the system shuts down, but once it shuts down there is no was to view what is going on until after you reboot, which shuts down the application or process that may be causing the problem. Is there another version of Linux that I could load that will not crash, and still keep all of the applications and data I have now? Should I try to simply reload "Isadore" from my disc?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:27 pm

As I said, this is a generic error and unless you can pinpoint the application or process that is causing it, there is virtually no chance of a solution. You didn't mention it happened on shutdown, only that your system crashed, which is not necessarily the same thing. An application crashing does not have to bring down the system. Chances are there is some corruption in your installation, but it could also be your user profile.

You could try creating another account and seeing if the same thing happened? Otherwise you might try a re-install, but if you do I would create another disc from a fresh download of the .iso, making sure you check the MD5, burn at the slowest possible speed and check the disc integrity using the option on the boot menu.

BTW I just noticed you put your email on the OP, this is so not advisable on an open forum and I suggest you edit the post and remove it asap.

bobhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobhosking » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks Remoulder,

I'll try your suggestions one step at a time to see if I can resolve the problem. It is interesting that the system doesn't shut down when it crashes, it just becomes dysfunctional, and the only way to restore functionality is to control/alt/delete and restart the system. When the system crashes, the screen goes black and then vertical lines appear on the screen, recently with colored bars along the bottom. This image alternates with the message: (process 238): GLib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r( ): failed due to unknown user id (0), followed by a bunch of other lines below it, all denoting some application as on. Recently the process number on the warning changed to 233, which is consistent with your original message.

BTW, edited the OP as suggested. Thanks, as a newbie I appreciate the good counsel.

timloyal
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" crash problem after update

Post by timloyal » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:25 pm

getpwuid_r() error process 279 failed due to unknownuserid (0)
I got this error starting yesterday after I updated my system. This was the updates that installed. Linux Headers Generic 2.6.32-24
I had not had this problem before I have a couple of updates but all of them seem to be to the core of Linux. This is a user id bug and when it goes to the screen saver it finally crashes. I believe the problem is in the resume of the computer as based on the user id. I just want to roll back the computer to before this update and can't find out how to do this. We also need to be able to copy from the update history as this would save a lot of time writing all those updates down for someone to check them to see which one caused the event to start happening.
the installs I did were all level 3 updates.

runbei
Level 3
Level 3

Post by runbei » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Re the solution suggested by remoulder, how can we get to a terminal if we can't boot? Catch-22?
remoulder wrote:Unfortunately there is no simple or easy fix for this problem, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1443231. The number at the beginning is the process id and you can use this to try and identify which process is causing the problem and maybe(?) this will help? To do this open a terminal (Ctl+Alt+T) and enter ps -e then look through the list to see if the process id is there and what it represents. You 'may' be able to kill the process with kill <process id, but this may not be possible and/or help with the problem.

bobhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobhosking » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:41 am

My system still crashes sporadically and completely unpredictably, and a friend of mine who is more advanced suggested changing to a kernal from an earlier version of mint. Does this sound like it would work, and if so, how should I do it?

Return to “Newbie Questions”