HSDPA USB MODEM (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pranaone

HSDPA USB MODEM (Solved)

Post by Pranaone »

Hi there fellow mint users,I've been using Linux mint for almost 2 years now since mint 7,It was and still is the best linux disto ever,I had no troubles at all,maybe minor issues which I always ended up fixing (All thanks to the mint community).
All these days I've been using a mobile phone (Nokia 6120 Classic) to connect to the internet,but recently it broke and I ended up buying a (chinese) HSDPA USB MODEM (I think Its has a Qualcomm 6230 chipset inside) but the network manager doesn't seem to recognise it as a modem instead it is shown as a USB mass storage device.I went through many forums (almost 2 months of searching) and found that some modems worked
when it was Ejected.But I can't get it to eject (it keeps saying device busy).Please help me,I cant download any packages such as modeswitch directly to my desktop because I have no way of connecting to the internet rather than going to a cafe (and I have to use their horrible windows system) I'm typing this from a cafe (So I think you understand my situation) So can somebody please help me to make my modem work somehow,I have no problem working with the TERMINAL(Although Im still an intermediate) So please help me out and tell me what to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: HSDPA USB MODEM HELP

Post by remoulder »

You'll have to download the necessary files for usb-modeswitch here onto a USB drive and then install them onto your mint machine by double clicking. Make sure you d/l the lucid packages (I'm assuming you have mint 9?) and it's probably also a good idea to get the dependencies (marked in red) at the same time, though not sure if you need them. You'll need to install in the right order, data first, if not the install will fail with dependency error.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

remoulder has very helpfully pointed you to the Ubuntu repository for usb_modeswitch;

It is a very active area;

Could I recommend you get the latest debian version (1.1.3-1) from here (I recommend that because Josh, whose programme it is, says that is what to do ..........)

the latest version has automated various things, so it should go smoothly for you .............

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/usb-modeswitch

you need to scroll down the page to get to the usb_modeswitch bit and choose which version you need: ie if you have 32bit mint, use the i386 version;

it is a 44.8 kB file size, so surely some friendly person can copy that onto a usb stick for you ..... and you then copy it onto your desktop in Mint; right-click and install with gdebi installer ...

the main page for usb_modeswitch is here

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

and the programme and forum are maintained by Josh who does a great job

Pranaone: if you also open a terminal and type
lsusb
and copy and paste what you get?
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

thanks for both your reply.. I did as you told everything is installed but I'm having a hard time configuring modeswitch to regonise my modem..anyways I try harder and see whether it works.
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

Hey I successfully managed to configure my modem. I used Sakis3G script and it worked like a charm.. Thanks
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HSDPA USB MODEM (Solved)

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; enjoy

sakis3G has usb_modeswitch built-in, so it is part of the sakis magic!

I used sakis3G in Europe recently; it worked well
Pranaone

Re: HSDPA USB MODEM (Solved)

Post by Pranaone »

Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”