I wish to install "Celena", should I wait?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
general.rule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by general.rule »

Hi,

I am so impressed with Linux Mint after reading the threads in your forums that I am beginning to feel that this must be a superb Linux distrubution and I need to downoad and install it now. But it seems that Celena release is around the corner and therefore I would like to download the latest version instead of the one which will soon be old. Please recommend me what should I do? Should I wait for the final Celena release or just download the beta Celena? If I download and install the beta Celena now would it get upgraded to the final Celena release version with the upgrades automatically or I need to wait? Please guide. :)

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

We do not recommend upgrading from a Beta to the final version. There will be an upgrade path from Cassandra to Celena. So either you install Cassandra and upgrade to the final Celena (and remember top make a separate partition for home - installing and upgrading is so much easier) or you wait for Celena
I've just downloaded beta021 and started seeding it - soon the final version will be there
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

jiggling_john
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jiggling_john »

Husse wrote:We do not recommend upgrading from a Beta to the final version. There will be an upgrade path from Cassandra to Celena. So either you install Cassandra and upgrade to the final Celena (and remember top make a separate partition for home - installing and upgrading is so much easier) or you wait for Celena
I've just downloaded beta021 and started seeding it - soon the final version will be there
You don't recommend upgrading from beta to final, but you do recommend upgrading from version to version....

This seems nonsensical to me - surely the packages in beta are far closer to that of the release than those in the previous version - i.e, regardless it's beta, there will be more bugfixes etc in beta packages than the last version - thus less to fix... plus the beta has a later kernel in it... an upgrade of the beta surely stands less chance of breaking things than an upgrade from one release version to another....

red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

jiggling_john wrote: You don't recommend upgrading from beta to final, but you do recommend upgrading from version to version....

This seems nonsensical to me - surely the packages in beta are far closer to that of the release than those in the previous version - i.e, regardless it's beta, there will be more bugfixes etc in beta packages than the last version - thus less to fix... plus the beta has a later kernel in it... an upgrade of the beta surely stands less chance of breaking things than an upgrade from one release version to another....
If you're just jumping in to Mint, as the original poster of this thread seems to be, it's always better to start with the latest version. Not that BETAs aren't fun to try out, but if you're new, and with Daryna only a few months away, you're better off installing Cassandra. In my opinion, anyway.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I see that Clem will provide a way for upgrading from the betas
Previously he has advised against it as the betas may have "properties" that should not be there but could survive an upgrade
If my memory serves me right :)
A beta version is a test version....

civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

will there be a way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 (final) without having to do a fresh install? Or would I be better off just doing a fresh install.........mint is still my favourite distro

(arch coming in at a close second, since my pc id getting older...but now I have found student employment, upgrades a plenty will be a rolling in, lol..not really. it's low paid and after college, but it's still nice to know that I can still be low tech a la arch (which has bumped up its minimum ram reccomendations to 256mb....GASP)

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

From Cassandra to Celena should be fine
However when we come to to Daryna (4.0) I recommend a fresh install - and remember to have home on a separate partition and then it's no big deal - half an hour max + your applications - most, if not all, or your settings remain untouched in home so that's pretty simple :)

lool55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lool55 »

No more time......but a sorrow time for anyones who confused

For me Celna021 in Laptop work well .
If Opera and SnagIt including too.
It's (Mint Celena) my dream OS come true.

vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Husse wrote:We do not recommend upgrading from a Beta to the final version. There will be an upgrade path from Cassandra to Celena. So either you install Cassandra and upgrade to the final Celena (and remember top make a separate partition for home - installing and upgrading is so much easier) or you wait for Celena
How would I create a home directory? Here's a snapshot of my drive the way Mint set it up when I first installed it:

Image[/img]

I'm running Cassandra now.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Is this the entire drive?
If so resize sda1 to about 5 GB
then create a new partition in the unused space
Edit the partitons (right click) and select mount point
/ for the 5 GB one and /home for the other
I know, I know, this should be done differently and probably would if we could develop our own installer (we use Ubiquity from Ubuntu which actually is a good installer, but ... :))

vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Husse wrote:Is this the entire drive?
If so resize sda1 to about 5 GB
then create a new partition in the unused space
Edit the partitons (right click) and select mount point
/ for the 5 GB one and /home for the other
I know, I know, this should be done differently and probably would if we could develop our own installer (we use Ubiquity from Ubuntu which actually is a good installer, but ... :))
Yes, its a 40gb hdd. Thanks for the info. I'll make the changes when the time comes. :)

Shyster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shyster »

General Rule,

Celena ,21 is a great beta distro...I'd go for it!

Shyster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shyster »

Make that 021.

Return to “Newbie Questions”