Skype and Mics

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gabemorris
Level 1
Level 1

Skype and Mics

Post by gabemorris »

Hiya,
I have always used Windows for Skype, but then I found out that it was available to Linux users so I downloaded it no prob. But when I plugged in my mic/headset I couldn't hear anything, nor would Skype pick up any noise I was making :S

I have a microphone/headset combo that plugs into the front Mic and Headphone ports on my eMachines C6535, I can't buy a new microphone right now and I'd really like to use my Desktop for Skype instead of my laptop (it stinks ^^)

Any help would be appreciated ^^

Gabe

capchuckprice
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Skype and Mics

Post by capchuckprice »

gabemorris wrote:Hiya,
I have always used Windows for Skype, but then I found out that it was available to Linux users so I downloaded it no prob. But when I plugged in my mic/headset I couldn't hear anything, nor would Skype pick up any noise I was making :S

I have a microphone/headset combo that plugs into the front Mic and Headphone ports on my eMachines C6535, I can't buy a new microphone right now and I'd really like to use my Desktop for Skype instead of my laptop (it stinks ^^)

Any help would be appreciated ^^

Gabe
I spent plenty of time trying to get Skype (and Gizmo) to work properly. First thing I'd suggest is, in the skype menus, go to Tools->Options->Sound Devices. Check to see that Skype is set up properly to use the right devices.

Here's a hint for what is correct: on your desktop taskbar, right-click on the little speaker thingy, and select "Open Volume Control". On the dialog that appears, select from the File menu File->Change Device. Don't make a choice, just look at what device is currently selected. Is it the same as what is selected in Skype? If so, you're probably in a better spot than if they are different.

Since linux mint has several devices available to drive the same physical hardware (at least on my system, with OSS and ALSO^HA), it is possible to have apps competing for access to the physical hardware in incompatible ways. On my system, making sure all apps use ALSA seems to be the way to make it work. However, I defer to sound driver experts for best practices advice.

After checking the volume control device selection, look at the items in the tabs. First, the "Playback" tab. Is anything muted? (Look at the little speaker icons at the bottom of the dialog. Do either have a big red X on them?

Next, go to the Recording tab. You should see a weird control called "Capture". Look at the bottom. Do either the speaker or microphone have a big red X? If so, click it to make it go away.

Finally, look at the "Switches" tab (nobody said this GUI made things easy...). Check to see where your system expects to get input from. If nothing so far has been muted (big red X's), try switching between "Line-in" and "Microphone". This tab only allows one to be selected.

Good luck!

-chuck

gabemorris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gabemorris »

thanks Chuck!
Now everything works fine :D

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I could add that it worked perfect for me in Bianca and Cassandra to use an USB headset - you could use that for skype while listening to music from the mobo's soundcard
Recording was way trickier but possible
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfab »

As for the XFCE edition it seems the default sound mixer is not working properly.

When I tried using skype I encountered that I could not turn up the "Capture"-device. (it will be set to zero every second after I change it)

After some time of googling (and I am not very good at it) I found some hint just to install kmix and set the mic-input via that application. Luckily it does not require additional KDE packages.

So this would be a temporary solution I guess.

greetings mfab

Return to “Newbie Questions”