Home Network w/o Internet?? SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
juicer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Home Network w/o Internet??

Post by juicer »

Hi Doc,
2Wire DSL Wireless Modem 1000SW
screen shot:
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?i ... OpIE&hl=en#
Unit has one ethernet and one usb connector on back. Ethernet connector is connected to the internet slot on the:
NETGEAR ProSafe Wireless Firewall/Print Server FM114P which is uplinked to :
3Com Office Connect Hub 8C
One pc is wired to the NETGEAR
One pc is wired to the 3Com Hub
Mac iBook gets wireless from NETGEAR
Each of the above work flawlessly, and each can see all network pcs, mac and linux and access all shared folders including those on the Linux machine.
On the other hand, Linux may and then later may not see the other computers and cannot access their folders even over Windows Network or occasionally, the folders will open after having been informed "Unable to Mount".
Linux gets wireless from NETGEAR ((I have at different times even disabled Wireless on 2Wire although the screenshot above shows it enabled)
I have tried Linux wired to NETGEAR and 3Com Hub all with the same poor outcome.
UPDATE:I just experimented with disconnecting the 2Wire from the NETGEAR and the network is sluggish BUT it does eventually open and the folders are accessible. If I switch from wireless to wired or vice versa on the NETGEAR without rebooting Linux, "Network" just hangs.
Water invented man as a means of transportation.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Your last post was confusing and BTW your link to google docs isn't going to do many any good.

What might be helpful is if you replace the "?" below with actual data:
NETGEAR ProSafe Wireless Firewall/Print Server FM114P which is uplinked to :
3Com Office Connect Hub 8C
One pc ( OS =? ; ip address = ? ) is wired to the NETGEAR
One pc ( OS =? ; ip address = ? ) is wired to the 3Com Hub
Mac iBook ( ip address = ? ) gets wireless from NETGEAR
And where is linux in all this and what is it's ip address? Is it one of the the 3 machines above or is it in addition to this?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

juicer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by juicer »

Altair4,
One pc xp pro, one pc xp home
mac and pcs ip in the 192.168.0.x range
I am hopefully getting somewhere since it appears (as I think it was you who suggested) the problem may be with the 2Wire wireless modem assigning 172.16.0.x ip addresses at the same time that the NETGEAR is assigning 192.168.0.x addresses.
This doesn't seem to be a problem with the macs or pcs BUT Linux isn't at all happy with it. If I put the 3Com switch behind the 2Wire and eliminate the wireless router, the network is crisp and its computers and folders are easily accessible even to Linux. Obviously, I lose the print server of the NETGEAR which is why I started this journey!
So now I am trying to figure out how to make the NETGEAR wireless router into an "Access Point" and then to disable its DHCP so that only the 2Wire is assigning an ip address.
It's all new to me but I am willing to learn.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Code: Select all

So now I am trying to figure out how to make the NETGEAR wireless router into an "Access Point" and then to disable its DHCP so that only the 2Wire is assigning an ip address.
It appears you are getting expert advice on that specific router from here: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=53695&page=3

Good luck.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

juicer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Home Network w/o Internet?? SOLVED

Post by juicer »

SOLVED:
As you suggested, it was an issue of two routers sending out ip addresses.
Set second wireless router as access point and all computers, files and folders network well and print sharing works as well.
Thanks for the guidance.

Return to “Newbie Questions”