wine for mint9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gemcunningham

wine for mint9

Post by gemcunningham »

Hello all

I'm really new to linux, and not the most technically minded.. so please bear with me..

I've recently installed mint9. I'd like to be able to run some kiddie games, the majority of which are designed for windows. I've been told I'll need an emulator, like wine, for them to work.

where can I find it? how do I install it?

I've tried google, and struggled, either finding links that no longer work, or getting something to download, but not being able to install it. I'm sure this is more to do with my lack of technical skill, rather than anything else. perhaps a step-by-step?

I thank you for reading this, and also for those of you that are able to offer some help, I'm truly grateful.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: wine for mint9

Post by richyrich »

I have Mint 9 Xfce Edition, and Wine is already installed, and available in the menu.
If it is not in your menu, then look into the Software Manager. You will also find hundreds of games in there, that don't require Wine.

Have fun . . richy
talsadus

Post by talsadus »

website for it is www.winehq.org

one way of installing it is to click on your mint menu and Choose Package Manager

And search for playonlinux
Right click on it choose Mark for Installation, then click apply

On ubuntu the link playonlinux appears under the games section, not sure about mint
jesica

Post by jesica »

in terminal type

sudo apt-get install wine

and hit enter
colyn

Post by colyn »

Unless I am mistaken, wine comes pre-installed on all Mint versions.

Check the Menu...
MrCoOl

Post by MrCoOl »

@colyn- wine dosent come pre intalled with every mint version. Depends on the the bundled softwares.

@gem-It is better if u install wine 1.2 using Synaptic package manager. Just open it in Menu - System - aministration - Synaptic package manager.
click on "Reload" ,
search wine 1.2 ,
Right click and mark for installation ,
apply.
:D
colyn

Post by colyn »

MrCoOl wrote:@colyn- wine dosent come pre intalled with every mint version. Depends on the the bundled softwares.
Actually what I meant (NO PUN) to say is it should be pre-installed on all Mint 9 versions. I've tried all of them and they all had wine installed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”