not recognising password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hilary
Level 1
Level 1

not recognising password

Post by hilary »

Hi, I have loaded Linux MintLXDE as a dual boot with windows and initially I was able to login in with my user name and password but now it won't let me in ... i have triple checked caps lock etc and have no idea how to get in so am hoping someone can help me. If can''t help can you tell me how to uninstall coz the instructions on ehow that recommend using the add/remove programmes in the control panel doesn't work coz I can't find what the "distribution"is. Many thanks in advance for any help
Hilary

talsadus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: not recognising password

Post by talsadus »

Does that includes language switching keys?

hilary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hilary »

i don't even know what you just said means ... sorry lol

talsadus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by talsadus »

Sorry, I meant
In case you have more than one language installed,
maybe you need to change the language of the password input.

But from your reply I guess you only have one language install...

hilary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hilary »

yes i only installed english ... i was able to log in 3 or 4 times and then went back to the computer after 5 minutes and it wouldn't recognise me. It lets me enter username and goes through to password but when i enter my password it flicks back to username

Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

hilary wrote:yes i only installed english ... i was able to log in 3 or 4 times and then went back to the computer after 5 minutes and it wouldn't recognise me. It lets me enter username and goes through to password but when i enter my password it flicks back to username
I believe I had a friend have this issue on a fresh install of Peppermint (Made by the same dev). I believe he 'fixed' it by dropping to console via "ctrl + alt + F2" and logging in in terminal followed by a sudo reboot to restart the computer. No idea what this solves, but it seemed to work for him.
Life is like hot chocolate. Sometimes it's so hot it burns your mouth. Other times it's just right.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer »

hilary wrote:yes i only installed english ... i was able to log in 3 or 4 times and then went back to the computer after 5 minutes and it wouldn't recognise me. It lets me enter username and goes through to password but when i enter my password it flicks back to username
X-server is falling down.. :roll:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52499

hilary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hilary »

Insane1 wrote:
I believe I had a friend have this issue on a fresh install of Peppermint (Made by the same dev). I believe he 'fixed' it by dropping to console via "ctrl + alt + F2" and logging in in terminal followed by a sudo reboot to restart the computer. No idea what this solves, but it seemed to work for him.

Many thanks for the input but as I am a complete technophobe could you please tell me what "dropping to console" means and when do I "ctrl+alt+F2"? Also some information on how to uninstall coz if I can't fix it then I want it gone :roll:

Return to “Newbie Questions”