linux wil not shut down

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fred0410
Level 1
Level 1

linux wil not shut down

Post by fred0410 »

I have installed linuxmint9 on my laptop. I love it. The only thing is it won't shut down via the shudown menu. I just have to force it through the off switch. Configs: asus pet t4400, nvidia ge force gt 320 m, vram 1gb, hdd 500, mem 4gb.
Thank you for your help :D

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: linux wil not shut down

Post by proxima_centauri »

Has this occurred from a fresh installation? or was it working in the past?

gordon.cooke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gordon.cooke »

Ive been having the same problem. Mine has worked in the past. But Shutdown and Restart often dont do anything. Suspend seems to work though.

I can shutdown from the command line though. To restart, it's:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -r now
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon
Asus U56E Laptop, Core i5-2410M, Intel graphics, 6GB RAM
Mint 9 64bit
Averatec 2573 Laptop, AMD Turion 64x2, ATI Graphics, Atheros wireless, 3GB RAM

xcausex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xcausex »

If you want that to power off rather than reboot use:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -h now
-r is for reboot.
-h for halt, which for all intents and purposes here means power down.

The "now" bit is a constant meaning you want it to happen immediately, I haven't had cause to use it any other way, but "now" can be substituted with "+m" where m is a given number of minutes you want to delay before the requested action is taken, you can also use a time formatted as "hh:mm" (00:00 - 23:59) in it's place if you want it to execute at a specified time.

Just to be clear, drop the quotes if you use one of those other options, they are not needed in the command, but that plus before the number of minutes is needed if you go that route.

fred0410
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fred0410 »

ok thanks for all your answers. The problem started from first linux install. But i have noticed that the problem only happens wallhen I've been on internet. Doesn't happen otherwise. Will try all your propositions and keep you posted. thanks again
fre

phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Had this program with mint 8. I assumed something was still running and preventing it from shutting down. I didnt receive any responses to my post about this (shortly after donating 75 bucks to mint...charming!) . Your "internet running" might be a clue.
For me , I think it was clamAV updater because when I purged clamvv, the problem went away.

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

I have this issue too, and can report that this is NOT a problem in KDE4 or LXDE. (Probably not XFCE either, but I don't have it installed right now.) Only in Gnome, then. Interesting that uninstalling ClamAV would help... I'll try that.

xcausex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xcausex »

For the record, most people really don't need to use Clam AV at all. The exception is if you are running a server of some sort that hosts windows content (including things like mail servers that deal with windows guest clients), or if you regularly need to scan windows partitions from your Linux system.

Please note that in every instance, you need a reason that involves windows in some way, as a naked Linux install in most home use scenarios is more than secure against viral threat as long as you practice a bit of common sense and responsibility. This includes not running as a super user (root) all the time, not enabling the executable flag on things you got off the net unless you are absolutely sure it came from a trusted source, and keeping your system up-to-date. Simple things like these will virtually guarantee you have little to nothing to worry about from system infection.

Even if you are dual-booting windows and Linux, there is still no reason to have Clam AV running all the time monitoring your traffic, you just need to run manual scans from time to time on your windows partitions when you think your windows system has been compromised, which admittedly may seem like a continuous thing. :lol:

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

Bah! Need? I like to keep ClamAV around for the moral support to OSS AV-tools! :twisted: (And it's good manners when dealing with Windows-users, as you said, such as my parents, teacher, friends...)

Anyway, uninstalling ClamAV didn't seem to help me. What do you guys think of Desktop Nova? A candidate troublemaker?

fred0410
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fred0410 »

sudo shutdown -h now
doesn't work either but suspend through the start menu seems to be working, except that suspend doesn't really shut down the computer , does it? Will my battery still be charged after having suspended the session?

phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

before I fixed my problem, I used to go to the Change user screen and shutdown from there. Might work for you.

gordon.cooke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gordon.cooke »

These are all good work arounds, and help when I NEED to shutoff the computer...

But the real issue is, WHY does this happen and how to fix the bug. What is the conflict or what program causes it??? I have this issue, but havent been able to really figure out what seems to trigger he problem, since it doesnt always happen and I do so many things before I ever shutdown.
Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon
Mint 9 64bit

janet986w
Level 1
Level 1

Post by janet986w »

xcausex wrote:For the record, most people really don't need to use Clam AV at all. The exception is if you are running a server of some sort that hosts windows content (including things like mail servers that deal with windows guest clients), or if you regularly need to scan windows partitions from your Linux system.

Please note that in every instance, you need a reason that involves windows in some way, as a naked Linux install in most home use scenarios is more than secure against viral threat as long as you practice a bit of common sense and responsibility. This includes not running as a super user (root) all the time, not enabling the executable flag on things you got off the net unless you are absolutely sure it came from a trusted source, and keeping your system up-to-date. Simple things like these will virtually guarantee you have little to nothing to worry about from system infection.

Even if you are dual-booting windows and Linux, there is still no reason to have Clam AV running all the time monitoring your traffic, you just need to run manual scans from time to time on your windows partitions when you think your windows system has been compromised, which admittedly may seem like a continuous thing. :lol:

Thanks you for the post.

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

This might not be THE cause, but I discovered something. When I tried to shut down through Gnome the other day, I got this issue. I then exited the OpenOffice quickstarter, tried shutting down again, and presto! Of course, OOqs just gets started the next time I boot, but since then I've been able to shut down without trouble. So far, anyway.

gordon.cooke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gordon.cooke »

So, saw this post in another part of the forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55995

Its about suspend and hibernate. Any chance this is related to the shutdown issue? Or is everyones susspend and hibernate working and only shutdown and restart dont work?
Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon
Mint 9 64bit

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

I don't do suspend if I can help it. KDE's power-management does it for me once in a while, though - works perfectly, actually.
What solves it for me is exiting OpenOffice's quickstarter. I've since reproduced it, so I consider it a confirmed solution/cause.

wrrrrrrrrrr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wrrrrrrrrrr »

Hello,

I have to refresh the topic.
Today I installed fresh Linux Mint 9 XFCE, that I downloaded and burned (and verified) yesterday.
After some basic configuration (like setting up appearance, installing some additional software through Software Manager) I got this kind of problem.
Almost everytime I use Shutdown command from XFCE Menu it doesn't do a thing.
Sometimes I can click that infinitely and the computer still won't shutdown or reboot - I get not response from the system. But it happens also that after two-three attempts the system will finally go off.

When I write it doesn't do anything I mean literally after invoking the command to shutdown or reboot the system from the desktop menu there isn't any (visual nor audial) indication that the shutdown or reboot process has been activated. The system just goes as if nothing had happened.

The other thing is this concerns all of the earlier versions of Mint XFCE and Xubuntu, like 8 or 7, but not Main (Gnome) editions.

Is it really XFCE related problem (xfce4-power-manager maybe?) or maybe it's a hardware issue?
I remember I couldn't force Windows to shutdown properly one day, but then I turned on the computer and tried to shutdown it again and it went ok. Till now I have no issue with Windows in that regard.

The M/B is ASUS A8N-E.

Again, Linux Mint 9 Main Edition, and also KDE edition work just fine, but it's not the case with XFCE.

I'll be grateful for any advice.
Cheers,
Darius
Last edited by wrrrrrrrrrr on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

Hm, that operation might be less straight-forward than you think... Well, not that I know, of course - I don't use XFCE, nor have I swapped power-managers before. What daemons/services/misc. things do you have running? What's in your systray? (I reiterate: Disabling OpenOffice quickstarter did the trick for me. Works in Gnome, KDE didn't have the problem to begin with.)

Teucca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teucca »

Last edited by Teucca on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Suomi guide
MINT is an easy, logical, adaptable, inspiring, user-friendly operating system.
The changes are new opportunities
Help Site Instructions

wrrrrrrrrrr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wrrrrrrrrrr »

Silent Warrior wrote:Hm, that operation might be less straight-forward than you think... Well, not that I know, of course - I don't use XFCE, nor have I swapped power-managers before. What daemons/services/misc. things do you have running? What's in your systray? (I reiterate: Disabling OpenOffice quickstarter did the trick for me. Works in Gnome, KDE didn't have the problem to begin with.)
Tomorrow I will try to replace xfce4 power manager with gnome's equivalent and see if it helps.
I don't use openoffice quickstarter. It didn't do any good virtually at every system configuration I tried it. OpenOffice is sluggish with or without quickstartup.

I didn't mention, that invoking shutdown in terminal, does the job everytime, but not when I choose to click through the menu.

I'll ask otherwise. Is there any difference from source code point of view between terminal shutdown command and desktop menu shutdown?
What instructions are suppose to be executed in case of using desktop menu shutdown?

Return to “Newbie Questions”