Problem with dual boot linux mint 9 kde

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exodus_mne_

Problem with dual boot linux mint 9 kde

Post by exodus_mne_ »

Hello people. I have one problem that I have not managed to solve, so I need help:). however I have Windows 7 on the C: partition and Windows XP, and Linux Mint (inside windows) on the D: partition and then I decided to format D: partition and make a full installation of Linux Mint 9 KDE, everything went well until I saw to i dont have any more opportunity to choose Windows 7.. only Mint . All the files under Windows are still there and I wonder if I can somehow get back to Windows 7? Thanks in advance. Greeting
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Problem with dual boot linux mint 9 kde

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Have you tried running "Sudo update-grub" in terminal? This will often pick up the missing OS and add it to the Grub menu.
exodus_mne_

Post by exodus_mne_ »

yes I tried that, but without result..
mmanjrekar

Post by mmanjrekar »

just trying to confirm here ... you have checked all the boot option in grub but are not able to see windows entry ... correct ?
exodus_mne_

Post by exodus_mne_ »

yes.. i can see Linux mint, LM recovery mode, and 2x memory test and that is all..
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

When you see those items listed , did you press the UP key further, there may be more listed above that will become visible, or also the DOWN key as far as it will scroll.
exodus_mne_

Post by exodus_mne_ »

When startup computer and I keep the shift key, I only have these 4 options and also when I go to the startup manager, there i can also see only the above mentioned four options..
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Im trying to get my head around this...do you have a screenshot from partition editor which you can post.

You say you overwritten this D drive with mint...on your hard disk I assume.
With a pic from partitition manager it may become more obvious
exodus_mne_

Post by exodus_mne_ »

yes i formated partition d and install linux mint. here is the pic
colyn

Post by colyn »

Which disk did you install grub to /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?

It needs to be on /dev/sda.
exodus_mne_

Post by exodus_mne_ »

on /dev/sda, /dev/sdb is my external hard drive.
mmanjrekar

Post by mmanjrekar »

why do i see ntfs on an extended partition ? ideally it should be on primary partition as per my knowledge.
anyways try this link and edit grub entries.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... er-375198/

Return to “Beginner Questions”