deleted bar at bottom of desktop - help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baddcog

deleted bar at bottom of desktop - help!

Post by Baddcog »

I unchecked alot of start up programs, then started having an issue, any minimized windows like internet (radio) when minimized can't be seen/found. Don't know how to bring them back up.

Then messing with the bars, one was at top of screen for some reason, I deleted it, then accidentally deleted the bar at the bottom, now I can't access my main menu, and don't know how else to find it, Yikes!

How do I add another bar and how can I get minimized windows to not vanish.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: deleted bar at bottom of desktop - help!

Post by vrkalak »

We need a few more details in order to better assist you.

First, of all, which version of Mint are you using and ... more importantly which desktop environment do you have?

As they each respond differently. I didn't know it was possible to delete both panels?

Anyway, it's not all that difficult to get the panel/taskbar and it's contents back.
karuga

Post by karuga »

First we deal with the problem of the bar.You can access by ALT+F1

For the minimized bars hold ALT and keep on tapping TABS .as you tap TABS,it will take you through diffrent minimized items.

For panels,first you can reset defaults by going to terminal,then gconftool-2 – -shutdown

(Note: There should be no spaces between the two dashes before shutdown.)

OR

gconftool – -recursive-unset /apps/panel

(Remember: There should be no spaces between the two dashes before shutdown.)

Then enter the next command:

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

And enter the last command:

pkill gnome-panel

This returns the top and the bottom panels.
Baddcog

Post by Baddcog »

Sorry. Mint 9 regular.

---and Thanks, that worked.

Boy was I suprised when I deleted that and couldn't find any other way into the system. You can't do that on Windows.

So far I think Mint 9 just has a few small learning curves to it that can catch you off guard if you are used to Windows, but I'm really liking it. Maybe better than Win7.

I was pretty blown away by the desktop 'manager' tabs for the tool bar, that's a pretty sweet feature.
karuga

Post by karuga »

I guarantee you,Windows is now a long gone sad story.
Just stick with mint,and nothing will go wrong as long as we are there.
I cant remember the last time i saw windows.I am tired of having problems now and then.
Before windows catches up with us.........we will be on the other end!

Return to “Beginner Questions”