Compiz 3d settings

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MintChocolateChip
Level 1
Level 1

Compiz 3d settings

Post by MintChocolateChip »

I am trying to get the desktop cube working with deformation, but their are now 3d settings or deformation settings to check. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Compiz and I tried messing around with the 3d settings of my graphics card since I needed to activate or install additional drivers when I installed Linux, (Not sure if I changed the right settings though).

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Compiz 3d settings

Post by dawgdoc »

in terminal run

Code: Select all

compiz-check
to gather info about the system and see if it is capable of running Compiz. If it returns that you are not capable, you may be able to fix this by installing proprietary video drivers if they are not already installed.

Did you fix the package install problem in your other post? You didn't name the package but you may need compiz-fusion-plugins-extra for some of the effects you want. It is required for some options to appear in the CompizConfig Settings Manager.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

MintChocolateChip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MintChocolateChip »

compiz -check kept freezing my computer

But I tried just doing the install extras through terminal, and that command was not found, but I went through the package manager and it worked. Thank you so much. I've been messing around with so much trying to get it to work.

Thank you,
Scott

mintnewbie63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi Scott, from what i see you also have the same problem that i had with compiz, also you have sent a personal e-mail to me stating that you have been doing research on how to get the sphere working in compiz, that you have the some gpu (Asus EAH3450) as i have, that when you installed LinuxMint it had a problem with the card and it told you to activate/install the driver for the gpu you also ask me if i know a way to get the 3D settings working for the card or if i have any suggestions.
a) I finally solved the problem i had with help and instructions from Vincent and from visiting compiz site, b) If you read my post for help (as I believe you have) the first thing I write that I did is that I got rid of that card(EAH3450) and I'm using the integrated chipset(ATI HD3200) which is on the motherboard, c) for anyone to be able to help you they have to know what kind of hardware you are using, all of them (motherboard, cpu, graphics, ram, Desktop or laptop, what make) the reason for this is simply not all hardware are compatible with some drivers, secondly not all hardware support 3D and that means that no matter what you do if you don't change the hardware part it wont work, this has nothing to do with Linux or Mint or the drivers, this is why I got rid of EAH3450 it simply did not work with 3D settings.
If you have not read my post 'Problem with compiz' please read it, and all other post's about compiz you may find the solution there, but I strongly believe that you must throw away that card first and then do all the rest, I wish you good luck, Gary
:Linux is ridding on a flying boxing kangaroo and taking the world by storm : motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,

Return to “Newbie Questions”