Turn of password for program installs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baddcog

Turn of password for program installs

Post by Baddcog »

I've searched but didn't some up with anything.

I'm starting to get annoyed with all the password pop-ups. I already chose NO password for login so why do I have to keep using it.

/ Been digging around all the settings too and can't find the answer/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Turn of password for program installs

Post by cecar »

I dont think you can get rid of them. Its about security. You dont run Mint as Root user so you have to give root priviliges when you install something. Honestly, how often do you install software?
Baddcog

Post by Baddcog »

Well, the last couple days quite a few times.

Getting on HD going just to get it going. Then a dual boot...
xcausex

Post by xcausex »

As Cecar mentioned, you need to be a super user (root) in order to install programs. This is most definitely for security reasons. By default you are a regular user, the software manager automatically uses sudo (a program to temporarily give you root privileges to use a command that needs them; such as installing software, changing permissions, or editting user accounts). In order for sudo to do what it does you need to give it your password so it knows you are you, and not another user attempting to gain privileges they shouldn't have.

Ubuntu-based systems disable the root account by default, which means you can't log in as root, and you can't use su (switch user) to switch to root either, as their isn't a root account to switch into. You could potentially create your own super user account and su to that, but really if all this is new to you, I couldn't suggest it so I won't describe the process here, but it's easy enough to find on the web if you are determined to do it anyhow. Besides, even if you did, you would have to use another package manager front end to get the desired outcome, as the software manager would still likely use sudo, and synaptic is no where near as intuitive and new-user-friendly as the Mint software manager is.

In the long run, it's just something you should get used to, as the Unix-style permissions set-up definitely does add a fair bit of protection to you and your system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”