YouTube Downloader for Linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

YouTube Downloader for Linux

Post by kurtbarker » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:05 am

Hey Guys,

I've been using Free YouTube Downloader for Windows using Wine. I needed to install Mono for Windows, which has something to do with the .net framework. So Just to use this application i'm installing other programs just to make it work. Is there something like this, but designed for the linux system.

I'll explain how the one i'm using works. It has a very simple user interface. You paste the youtube link in, select what format you want it in, mpeg, avi, mp3, flv, etc. I was using the mp3 setting so I could just get the audio track, it was downloading the mp3 straight to your computer.

I've looked up YouTube Downloader's for Linux, and the majority i'm finding are only the video clip downloaders, without the extracted audio track option. There was one that wanted you to download the video, then extract the audio from the video. Sounds like a lot of effort.

So is there something like what I described for Linux, or should I keep using the one I have under wine?

Sorry if that was a little confusing. Thanks.

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: YouTube Downloader for Linux

Post by inktitan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 am

I actually used to use that program. It was great for converting video files to mp4 so I could play them on my blackberry. Have you tried typing youtube in the synaptic package manger. I'm using my phone to post this so I can't check it myself right now but I think I saw something like that in there. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out. I'd like to have that too.
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurtbarker » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:28 am

Thanks for the response.

I'm just doing all the updates for linux and it's taking a while. I'll post what comes up in the package manager, maybe you can help me with the selection.

Regards,

kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurtbarker » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 am

There has to be an easier way.

This is the thing I was referring to before, downloading and converting.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=855433

The apps in the package manager are:
youtube-dl, and clive

I think i'll be going back to wine.

Regards,

kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurtbarker » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:38 am

Is there a way to check the logs when a program crashes/closes when it shouldn't.

I had this working under Wine before, but I formatted, reinstalled it, wine, mono for windows. Program loads fine, but as soon as I enter the link, select the format, and click download, the program just closes. It doesn't download the file, it looks for the link, and once it starts the download, it auotmatically crashes. I'm looking for the log to try and find out why...

Thanks,

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Some logs are found in /var. Also make sure you have the same version of wine you had before. And they have a wine1.3.3 beta out you could try and wine-doors is a package manager styled front end for wine meant to help with updates and such. Playonlinux is another front end for wine meant for gaming but it has other software patches(for lack of a better term) available. I'll keep an eye for youtube recorders. I remember seeing one.
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Teucca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teucca » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Last edited by Teucca on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Suomi guide
MINT is an easy, logical, adaptable, inspiring, user-friendly operating system.
The changes are new opportunities
Help Site Instructions

kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurtbarker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 am

that last program looks really good, but is it able to download the audio track as an mp3, or is it video flv, avi, mpeg only?

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 am

kurtbarker wrote:that last program looks really good, but is it able to download the audio track as an mp3, or is it video flv, avi, mpeg only?
Download and convert .. 8)
Attachments
download_and_convert.png
download_and_convert.png (233.24 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:21 am

That download helper works great. A little laggy with the HD downloading but every bit as good as the YouTube downloader.

kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurtbarker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks guys,

Installed the DownloadHelper add-on and it looks fantastic, however i'm having trouble converting files i'm downloading.

In the converter options, the default directory for ffmpeg is /usr/bin/ffmpeg/ (which didn't exist).

I looked up ffmpeg in the package manager and it wasn't installed, so I installed that, and the directory still doesn't exist.

The only ffmpeg directory I can find is in /usr/share/ffmpeg/ which existed before I installed ffmpeg, and the videos still aren't converting.

So, where is the ffmpeg directory, and what more can I do?

Thanks

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I just copy the Flash file in the Temp folder and then paste it to a folder I have for the files.
Works every time. i can them play with the download.

Lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

kurtbarker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kurtbarker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey Lex,

I wanted the files in MP3 format so I could use them on my MP3 players. It's downloading the file, I just don't want them in the video formats which is putting in the temp directory.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 pm

kurtbarker wrote:Hey Lex,

I wanted the files in MP3 format so I could use them on my MP3 players. It's downloading the file, I just don't want them in the video formats which is putting in the temp directory.
Ok, I did not see that in the first message.
I just give the file to my stepson who converts it for me with his new W7 laptop which he just bought from Walmart for $298. Full size 'Top with numeric keyboard. I may buy one and slip in a new Drive for Linux like I did with my Acer I purchased two years ago.

Lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 pm

If mp4 is good enough there is actually a firefox add on for downnload as mp4. called mp4 downloader. I am testing it now. It downloads fairly slow and i have a fast connection.

Edit: I guess it converts during the download making it very slow.

ur_sunny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ur_sunny » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Try firefox plugin 'Video Download Helper'.
thanks!

fierarucristian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fierarucristian » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 pm

I've used http://www.convertvideotoaudio.com/ and found it quite good with youtube videos so will recommend using this online service as well.

Return to “Newbie Questions”