Installing software

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Installing software

Post by jimisbell »

When I try to install Chromium I get the following error message, but no suggestions on how to resolve it.

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program."

Also I noticed that it is for Isadora and I am running Helena. Is that a problem??
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing software

Post by eric k »

Where are you trying to install it from? Synaptic or the Google Chrome site? Since you mentioned Firefox, I'll assume the latter, but you never can tell sometimes.

If you go to the Google Chrome site, all you should have to do is click the "Install" button, and gdebi should take care of the rest after Chrome is downloaded. I don't see where it mentions any versions for Helena vs. Isadora, .deb files are compatible with both.
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing software

Post by jimisbell »

I have no idea where I was when I tried to install it. It was one of the tabs that appears across the top when you first install Mint 8. Browsing through it I came to a place where it said I could download Chrome and an "install" button which I dutifully pressed.

BUT...going to Google Chrome worked flawlessly, thanks.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.

Return to “Newbie Questions”