MY HARD DISK IN NOT DETECTING....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gkarthik21
Level 1
Level 1

MY HARD DISK IN NOT DETECTING....

Post by gkarthik21 »

Hi,Initially i used windows 7 ..i had 5 drives .then i tried fedora12 by formattin the windows7 installation drive,after installing fedora i encountered an bug ,my hard disk is not detected.. i tried -ls command its not working,,now again i put linux mint 9 by formatting the fedora12 drive again the same problem ...what should i do,,,plz help me

NOTE: all drive in NTFS ,

oobetimer

Re: MY HARD DISK IN NOT DETECTING....

Post by oobetimer »

gkarthik21 wrote:Hi,Initially i used windows 7 ..i had 5 drives .then i tried fedora12 by formattin the windows7 installation drive,after installing fedora i encountered an bug ,my hard disk is not detected.. i tried -ls command its not working,,now again i put linux mint 9 by formatting the fedora12 drive again the same problem ...what should i do,,,plz help me

NOTE: all drive in NTFS ,
"
Usually this happens if there is raid metadata on the disk. If the disk was used in raid earlier, or similar. Formatting doesn't remove the metadata.

If you are NOT running raid, boot into live mode and do:

sudo dmraid -r -E /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb, etc, depending on the disk name)

If that asks you to remove raid settings, that was the problem. Remove them and it should be fine.

"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1506552

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 47#p309698

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads »

oobetimer, thank you! This post helped me to read my partitions. :)

Orbital_sFear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orbital_sFear »

I can't believe that worked. I'm running an HPE h8-1300z. The installer wouldn't show any partion information. I ran your magic dmraid command and things are installing nicely.

Thanks a bunch!
-Orby

Return to “Newbie Questions”