some newb questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
red123
Level 2
Level 2

some newb questions

Post by red123 »

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUT51aaw49M

I am wondering which version of Linux Mint uses that start menu?

2. I installed the KDE version of Linux Mint and noticed that on my bootloader screen, I am seeing duplicates of Linux Mint and Linux Mint (recovery mode). I am wondering if it was possible to remove the duplicates.

3. I have read about how it is not recommended to download programs on the internet and install them. Instead, I should use the online repository. I am wondering how true is this statement. I want to install the ATI Radeon driver. Is it safe for me to just download the driver on the ATI website and run the installation? The ATI site has a linux version.
thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Re: some newb questions

Post by thx1138 »

1) It's the main edition (Gnome)

2) In case you messed up your system you'll need the recovery mode to repair it, so don't delete this entry

3) Try the hardware drive that's suggested first (you'll get a notification after your first boot). Learn about your new operating system, then think again, if you really need the driver from the ATI website.
inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan »

That menu is used in Linux Mint Debian and I think Mint Gnome. I use XFCE which has the smaller style menu(old habits) you can sometimes download those menus in synaptic package manager.
As for the driver you can run the hardware detector in the system menu and it will automatically find the one you need and then you hit activate to install it. The worry is not with catching a virus but with installing to the wrong place or leaving out dependencies.
The duplicates I don't know about. That seems to imply extra partitions. Check and make sure they go to the same place. An easy fix would be to just install it again. But that's no fun right? So I'll look around for you. But if you want to try the Debian version of Mint this is a good time. I assume you know about how to use the live cds and such.
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

A reinstall will be no problem for me since I have not really done anything yet. I was looking to try out the Debian version, but then after I read that it is not as user friendly as the Ubuntu based Mint, I steered away.
inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan »

I tried Debian and didn't see anything more difficult than in XFCE which is a very easy to use edition. In my opinion anyways. And you always have the forums here. Which are the best forums around. Go ahead and give it a shot. That is the beauty of the live cd. If you try it and can't use because it is to alien then you don't have to reformat anything. You just take out the disk. I thought it was simple enough. Learn how to use synaptic and the software manager for installs wireless set up was a little tricky for me because I was missing the ndiswrapper module but that's an easy enough fix. Debian is a fast edition from what I hear the live trail is unfair because it has to read from the disk. But give it a shot and good luck.
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

Return to “Newbie Questions”