Getting infrared to work on IBM T23

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ijoju
Level 1
Level 1

Getting infrared to work on IBM T23

Post by ijoju » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi everyone, I just installed Linux on my old T23 to try to get some more life out of it. I like the faster load times for everything and I'm still getting used to the menu and loading programs.

I have an infrared port on my laptop that I use to transfer pictures from my Nokia 6101 phone. It worked in Windows but it was agonizingly slow. I haven't been able to find anything by googling. Only stuff on the infrared remote project. That's not what I'm interested in. I just need this to work again so I can keep transferring my pics.

Any help is appreciated.

Fafler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting infrared to work on IBM T23

Post by Fafler » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 am

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/IrDA
http://tuxmobil.org/Infrared-HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO.html

It's been many years since i used IrDA, but i think this is a way to do it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install irda-utils obexpushd
To receive files from the phone:

Code: Select all

obexpushd -I
Tell the phone to send a file and hopefully your laptop will receive it and put it in your home directory.

It's also possible to browse the files on the phone, but i can't find any info on it right now.

ijoju
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting infrared to work on IBM T23

Post by ijoju » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for the help. :D It works great now. Is there a way to use this from the menu? Otherwise I'll just get used to stopping and starting it from command line.

Return to “Newbie Questions”