[Closed] Problem with shutdown

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SPMcKinney
Level 1
Level 1

[Closed] Problem with shutdown

Postby SPMcKinney » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Anytime I've had an Ubuntu based operating system I have been unable to shutdown or hibernate my computer, it would freeze in the middle of the shutdown and the fan would shut off but the computer never turns off unless i press the power button

Here is a video of the shutdown sequence its bad quality and is only 21 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcHm6yvsnzU [DEAD LINK]
Last edited by SPMcKinney on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

motsteve
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem with shutdown

Postby motsteve » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

Can you restart? Can you use a command line tool? If you can you may want to try a shutdown command and see what happens. I'm no expert here. My installations have always worked as far as this area is concerned.

Another important point is: is this a standard Isadora desktop install or have you made any modifications?

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby dawgdoc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 am

To help track down the issue, check your log files: > Menu > Administration > Log File Viewer and look for pm-suspend.log, see if there is anything relevant in the last sequence or two.

Other than that there are many possibilities:

dawgdoc wrote:There is a known issue with Lucid Lynx, which Mint 9/Isadora is based on, re: suspend to disk (hibernation) when the disk is partitioned automatically during the install process. The swap partition which is created is not large enough. Check the size of your swap partition compared to your amount of RAM. The swap should be as large as or up to twice the size of your RAM. Even though this is listed as a hibernation issue, I would recommend checking.

I have seen posts where removal of proprietary video drivers solved the issue.

I have seen posts where turning off compiz and the visual affects will solve the issue.

Ensure that you have no broken packages -- > Menu > Package Manager there is a menu entry in Synaptic to fix these.

A BIOS update has been known to resolve suspend/hibernation issues.

I have seen one thread where the poster tried much of the above and nothing worked until he updated his kernel, that was posted in July 2010.

I hope there is something useful in all of the above.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby jesica » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 pm

this might also not work but have you give the terminal shutdown a try

sudo poweroff

or

sudo shutdown -h now

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

SPMcKinney
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SPMcKinney » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 am

Wow I really shoulda kept up with this topic sorry

I wasn't able to type any commands, It was a default instillation (literally installed then shut down cause I had an appt.) so no packages were broken or anything, with the BIOS that would affect any OS right if so it couldn't be that as Debian has no problems. I had everything up to date.

The restart from the menu would work it was the actual shutdown process that wouldn't, even if i did it through the terminal.

dawgdoc wrote:
dawgdoc wrote:There is a known issue with Lucid Lynx, which Mint 9/Isadora is based on, re: suspend to disk (hibernation) when the disk is partitioned automatically during the install process. The swap partition which is created is not large enough. Check the size of your swap partition compared to your amount of RAM. The swap should be as large as or up to twice the size of your RAM. Even though this is listed as a hibernation issue, I would recommend checking.

This seems likely to be the suspect though only had a whole 256mb or RAM (Even my 512mb i have right now is sad even worse that's the max i can get)

Return to “Newbie Questions”