WHY IS LINUX MINT SO SLOW ON RELATIVELY GOOD COMPUTER?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
minted11
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WHY IS LINUX MINT SO SLOW ON RELATIVELY GOOD COMPUTER?

Post by minted11 »

[img]
Silent Warrior wrote:About the drivers... Do the FGLRX-set even support the X1600 these days? So xorg-video-radeon would be the only choice?

minted11: I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention that ATI's cards have usually not worked so well with Linux. It's turning around now, but the X1600 is from the 'bad old days'. I know I had a pretty grand struggle with my X1900 in earlier Ubuntu-releases in order to get Compiz running. (And meanwhile 2D ran just gloriously...) And later on, my chassi fried that thing... Anyway. FGLRX-drivers are the official drivers from ATI - which probably don't support your card anymore. There are open-source drivers, but last time I checked (how many years ago, now?) they didn't do 3D very well - though your card will be supported for sure.
If you're using VESA-drivers, that's bound to be the reason things are so slow for you. Um, just don't remove that set all at once, though - they're always good to have around for a rainy day.

FOR ALL GUYS:

People thanks for your patience and for your efforts to help me, I'm very grateful to all of you.

But still, I cant make my LINUX to run faster than drunken snail, and I did everything, I don't have any other ideas.

I realized I WAS using wubi install, and I realized it might be possible that Linux just don't have enough disk space to work, so I formated all disk space i could found, at the end I gained some 46GB of space just for Linux.
Also I formated windows7 system and finally installed LINUX MINT from LIVE CD, but nothing changed, it's still fast as drunken snail.

So I downloaded Xorg ATI driver for Radeon X1600 (my graphic card unfortunately), but now i can't run downloaded package !!!!

When I try to start install drivers, the message below pop ups:

'' Could not open the file /home/tvrtko/Downloads/a...ler-9-3-x86.x86_64.run.

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding. Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file. Select a character encoding from the menu and try again''

Under that message, it's Character encoding menu, there i choose option ''Automatically Detected'', and still i can't open driver installation, in fact no matter what i choose from menu list, i can't open it.

Please, what i can do??!!

NOTE: my windows7 family is laughing a loud on me cause i advocate such slow linux. :(
minted11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minted11 »

harpomarx wrote:Ok, like you I am fairly new to Linux mint.
First of all yeah the cpu is easily able to handle mint. I run a dell 2.8Ghz cpu and 1 gig of ram it is sufficient for all my needs. However I would dismiss your claim that windows 7 ultimate runs faster than Linux. What benchmark testing brought you to this idea, or was it just a perception? TBH I found that under gnome my perception was that Linux runs faster and, under KDE, windows 7 ultimate and linux appear about the same speed, however, all sorts of factors come into play. First off, get rid of unnecessary eye candy such as screen effects, then get rid of icon animations. pare down the startup applications, the worst offender is the printer spool - if you dont need it dont use it.
just go through all the settings and stop using anything you dont need.
I am still a bit bugged by your claim windows runs faster. This is just your perception i doubt theres benchmarks that would prove that
When i say Windows7 is much much faster than Linux Mint, of course I'm talking about my own experience, I do not care much about benchmark tests, i do care about reality, my reality is super slow Linux, it just doesn't work, i can't remember when any windows system was such slow as LinuxMint (LM), but i remember that even windows95 was faster than LM.

While I work in Linux everything is super slow, even most simple operations, and I do not play any games, I'm not gamer, I'm just interested in common things like normal internet browsing, writing textual files, listening music, opening yotube, watching movies from time to time, todays normal operations, all that works perfectly fast at Windows7.

Just to demonstrate how is slow Linux on my machine, imagine DOS OS on which you're trying to run some 3D - game from year 2007. Is that really possible?

Also, it have to be said, on Windows7 you don't have to turn off ''fancy effects'' you have them all, without any bugs, and it's all super fast.
minted11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minted11 »

DrHu wrote:
Fred wrote:I know some well respected people think Mint4win or Wubi is a good idea, but personally I think it is a terrible idea. It gives you the worst of both worlds. If you want to test Linux before you do a real install that's fine, use the live cd or usb stick. Wubi is far more trouble than it is worth.
I agree with Fred, in fact he beat me to the punch

Yes, I think it is wubi (mint4win) that is slowing the Linux OS more than normal
--it is not running Linux natively, but as a kind of VM guest OS

Unless you give Linux the same respect you are giving windows, as well as any troubleshooting steps you want to apply, with Linux running on its own partition, and therefore booting up normally, just as you are doing with win7
  • It isn't a fair comparison
As well, it seems that you might need to play windows games or use windows OS client software for on-line games (WOW --World of Warcraft, I guess), you will be better off doing a multi-boot, so that you can see Linux run as it is meant to (run).
I formated windows system, and I installed just Linux in ''side by side'' mode, so now Linux is only OS on my computer (so i do respect linux) but still, it's fast as drunken snail.

Why I used ''side by side'' mode while installation from LIVE CD?

Because I have some 40GB of my files on computer (which are very very important for me/ no, i do not have any ****) and i couldn't loose them, since another option is to format whole disk (all partitions).

But before installation, I gained about 46GB just for Linux.

NOTE: I do not play any games, i think it's waste of time, i do just multimedia things, drawing, listening music, watching movies, watching youtube clips, browsing the internet, working in text editors, and similar not complicated things.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

if really have a side by side install and if you really have enough space reserved for the Linux MInt OS then it should be fast enough.

the only thing that could slow it down are bad grpahics card drivers. proprietary drivers do not support the kernel that comes with latest ubuntu version. they never will. so you are dependent on open source drivers. they are not always so good. so one thing to try is to:
1. turn off the special effects and install a theme lighter on resources. don't know which one is that in mint.

2. you could try to update the opensource drivers to some testing version and hope it will accelerate the desktop environment propperly.

by the way can you open terminal and type in this command:

Code: Select all

df
this should list your partitions and space available. then copy it and paste it here using the code tags

EDIT: ALso just so you know i use Ubuntu on old 1.2Ghz AMD, 256MB RAM of which 32MB is occupied by graphics card. and it doesn't work slow unless i start many applications.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

minted11 wrote:So I downloaded Xorg ATI driver for Radeon X1600 (my graphic card unfortunately), but now i can't run downloaded package !!!!

When I try to start install drivers, the message below pop ups:

'' Could not open the file /home/tvrtko/Downloads/a...ler-9-3-x86.x86_64.run.

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding. Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file. Select a character encoding from the menu and try again''

Under that message, it's Character encoding menu, there i choose option ''Automatically Detected'', and still i can't open driver installation, in fact no matter what i choose from menu list, i can't open it.
Whoa there. Why are you trying to open this with gedit? This file needs to be executed using "sudo sh longfilename.run" and must be done without X running.** This is the more complex way of installing drivers and I think doing it this way will require you to build the driver modules again with each kernel upgrade. Have you tried just using the restricted/additional drivers tool (whatever they call it now)? It should be under Administration.

**This means you need to use ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to a command line in another tty, kill X and then execute that file.
itlarson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by itlarson »

I'm writing this from a Dell Inspirion 8600 with a 1400mhz pentium m and 1/2 g of memory. So yes, your hardware should be adequate.

I'll add only three things:
-check top or gnome-system-monitor and make sure nothing's hogging the CPU.
-use the "hardware drivers" app to install the proprietary drivers if you haven't already.
-post the output of df -h so we can see your harddrive usage
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

minted11: Whoa whoa whoa! Download things through a package-manager, AVOID manual downloads like the plague! That said, the proprietary drivers itlarson mentioned is probably a good place to start. You'll get the open source set by running:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd
(Other valid drivers could be -video-radeon, -video-ati, but they don't mention your specific GPU-chip (R530) in the description.) Compiz might not work, just so you know - they advertise poor/non-existent 3D-support. 2D should be blazing fast, though.
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

A note about the ATI video drivers. The newer drivers on the ATI site often drop support for older cards.

'First try Menu/Control Center/Hardware/Hardware Drivers.

It will search for and then offer to install an appropriate FGLRX driver. Say yes, wait for the "Done" notification. Reboot, or maybe just logout and back in. Check to see if it makes your card more effective by playing with some of the Compiz special effects. If Wobbly Windows works, the driver is working.

If this test is passed, turn off the Compiz special effects and see if your usual tasks are now being run at a good speed. If so, go ahead and play a bit more with Compiz unless you see it causing problems.

If all is now well, then getting the video card working efficiently was the missing piece in this puzzle, as many have suggested.

If not, let people know what in this sequence of steps failed.

(edit to add a detail)
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

conslie wrote:A note about the ATI video drivers. The newer drivers on the ATI site often drop support for older cards.

'First try Menu/Control Center/Hardware/Hardware Drivers.

It will search for and then offer to install an appropriate FGLRX driver.
none of this will happen which you would know if you already read or checked to see that card is in legacy support.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

minted11,
I wonder have you tried running Linux directly from CD/DVD? Once it has booted up, Is it faster than your installation?

I really don't have an answer, it baffles me. But something for thought: This computer I'm working on right now is six years old, has an Athon XP running at 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM and runs on Mint9. Compared to the snazzy 2008 office computers at work running sluggishly on Windows, this old thing is really fast. In fact it works so well, the thought of replacing never came to mind. Thats just to say if you box is that slow, there must be some definite reason for it.
Helmut
minted11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minted11 »

Fred wrote:minted11,

You might look at your graphics driver. Often if you are not using the appropriate driver for your graphics card it will bog down the system. Also, don't turn on a lot of fancy effects. They eat resources like crazy. A few years ago you didn't have all those fancy effects so it would never have been an issue. :-)

Fred

DEAR ALL PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY FRED, MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED!! :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) LINUX MINT IS WORKING AND NOW IT'S INCREDIBLY FAST!!!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: FRED AND OTHERS, THANKS A LOT ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM? FRED, YOU WERE RIGHT, WHOLE PROBLEM WAS ABOUT GRAPHIC DRIVERS AND MY BAD CARD, BUT I DOWNLOADED SOME ATI DRIVERS FOR LINUX;

''ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64'' .

NOW, EVERYTHING IS WORKING, AND ALL THE THINGS ARE MUCH FASTER, MUCH SIMPLER, JUST MUCH BETTER THAN WIN7.

AGAIN, THANKS A LOT!! Now I'll spread LINUX trough my family and friends!

LIVE THE FREEDOM!!
RJ12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RJ12 »

Glad you got it working :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”