New router modem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
trophymick
Level 1
Level 1

New router modem

Post by trophymick »

Hi,
I tried to connect a new router modem (Zoom X6), my computer doesn't seem to recognise it, so no internet connection! I've been into the routers settings and put my details in and saved them. I have reverted back to the old router modem for now, but it is in dire need of a rest.
Is there a command for this, or should it pick it up automatically?

Mick

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New router modem

Post by Midnighter »

How are you connecting to it? Wireless? Ethernet?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

trophymick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trophymick »

Ethernet.
Did everything right, but the computer wouldn't connect.
Give me a connection wizard. :D

Mick

mintnewbie63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi,
a) have you enabled wired connections in network manager? b) did you make the correct settings in the router/modem? c) what OS have you got in your machine? d) can you post the settings of your router/modem without your personal details here so we can see if there is a mistake in them? if the problem is the network manager thats the little icon on the left of the sound/volume icon on the right hand side of Mint panel, right click on it and then click on enable networking, if the problem is the router/modem settings then we have to see them so we can help you correct any mistakes, also we don't know what type of connection you got from your ISP, broadband?

Gary
:Linux is ridding on a flying boxing kangaroo and taking the world by storm : motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,

trophymick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trophymick »

I'll try and be a bit more graphic.
Everything was working fine with my old router, but the router was dropping connection regularly, broadband via phone line.
I purchased a new router modem (Zoom X6) and connected it up to the phone line (straight into the test socket) and computer via Ethernet RJ45. Typed the routers configuration manager address into my browser, configured it with info supplied from ISP, (encapsulation pppoa, multiplexing VC-MUX, VPI: 0, VCI 38, authentication: CHAP). I did try a couple of different DNS providers in Network connections but had no luck. Enable networking has always been ticked.

Mick

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Very odd. If the router/modem is already set up, and can connect to the net, then you should be able to also when you plug in. Is your ethernet connection set to DHCP or static IP?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

trophymick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trophymick »

It's DHCP, also I've tried "Automatic DHCP" and "Automatic DHCP addresses only"with a DNS provider selected (typed in), in network connections.
Bizarrely, when I loaded mint a few months ago auto eth0 picked the old router up almost instantly, I thought it might do the same again. :lol:
I'm getting to the point of a re-install! Maybe that'll work?

Mick

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I honestly don't understand why it's not working. *scratches head*

Can any other machines connect? Do you only have the one? Can you ping anything? Is it only browsing not connecting? IS there anything else you can add?

OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

Do you have DSL from a Phone line :?: Don't know about your Service provider,But here you have to use the one you get from them(AT&T) :shock: So you might want to check with your Phone Co.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP »

Another possible gotcha with dsl or cable and AT&t is notorious for this where I live and I use them is it's possible they don't have the new router configured in their system yet. I had to switch dsl numbers same router same address it took them almost 2 weeks to get someone to basically reassign a new dsl number. I am assuming your ISP can ping and see your new router if they can't see it it's not in the configuration on your side.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

trophymick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trophymick »

Thanks for all the replies. :D
After spending nearly four hours this morning, trying every trick and configuration I know, the conclusion is that I've got a dud router/modem!
It's being collected tomorrow for return to warehouse, and a new one replacing it. :D
I'll let you know how I progress.

Mick

LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP »

Best of luck Mick, hope the new one goes smooth as silk :D . Just remember if you have to deal with your ISP's tech he should be able to ping and see your router once he has its mac.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Return to “Newbie Questions”