Reinstall Mint Menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Reinstall Mint Menu

Post by antiquexray »

Mint Menu is kaput, gone, corrupt, etc. I booted up today and got a message saying there's a problem. How do I reinstall it. thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Reinstall Mint Menu

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Are you runing the Main (Gnome) Edition or another? The method in Gnome is to right click on the Menu icon and click "Remove from Panel". Then right click on the panel, select "Add to Panel" scroll down to MintMenu and click "Add".

In other versions there are other methods.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Are you runing the Main (Gnome) Edition or another? The method in Gnome is to right click on the Menu icon and click "Remove from Panel". Then right click on the panel, select "Add to Panel" scroll down to MintMenu and click "Add".

In other versions there are other methods.
...and there lies the rub... I tried that, but MintMenu isn't a choice when I try to add to the panel.

I guess I need to come clean and say I recently downloaded Adobe Reader 9, and wanting to clear space, deleted evince (I wanted to free some disk space. I could reinstall Isador, but since the next version Mint is coming, I'd rather reinstall MintMenu than Isadora.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

from a terminal you could install mintmenu with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mintmenu
or go to Synaptic/Package Manager and install it. The follow Aging Technogeeks previous instructions.

I looked at the dependencies and depends of mintmenu and evince was not listed. I didn't see any common dependecies/dependent packages with a cursory look.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

dawgdoc wrote:from a terminal you could install mintmenu with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mintmenu
or go to Synaptic/Package Manager and install it. The follow Aging Technogeeks previous instructions.

I looked at the dependencies and depends of mintmenu and evince was not listed. I didn't see any common dependecies/dependent packages with a cursory look.
Well, I did that, the Synaptic thing. It says it's loaded, but doesn't show up when I right click and try to add to panel.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

When you Right click the panel, select <Add to panel> do the other menu options show up in the dialog which opens? namely -- <Main Menu> (The main Gnome Menu) or <Menu Bar> (A custom menu bar) If the others are there and mintmenu is not, you could always try rebooting and then see if it is there.

If even that does not help, any chance you could remember the error message?
Find the error in dmesg or
Will mintmenu start from terminal?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

dawgdoc wrote:When you Right click the panel, select <Add to panel> do the other menu options show up in the dialog which opens? namely -- <Main Menu> (The main Gnome Menu) or <Menu Bar> (A custom menu bar) If the others are there and mintmenu is not, you could always try rebooting and then see if it is there.

If even that does not help, any chance you could remember the error message?
Find the error in dmesg or
Will mintmenu start from terminal?
The other 2 menus are indeed there, and I have tried rebooting. I don't remember the message very well, but it said something about an error loading or something and asked if I wanted to remove it. The 1st two times I said no, and when the boot process was done it was missing for the panel. I later allowed it to be removed.

I didn't see the message in dmesg, and when I type mintmenu in terminal, I get a whole lot of error that start like this

[Pyinotify ERROR] add_watch: cannot watch /home/phil/.config/autostart
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Reinstall Mint Menu--solved

Post by antiquexray »

Hold on, it's back. I don't know exactly how, but it showed back up. I did run a command that Clem sent me years ago when having trouble with the menu, but I don't have time to look it back up now. I let you know. thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”