How do I find out the size of my harddrive in Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
brawnypandora0
Level 3
Level 3

How do I find out the size of my harddrive in Linux Mint

Post by brawnypandora0 »

When I had XP, all I had to do was open My Computer and click properties in the C drive menu to show a pie chart of how big my harddrive is and how much free space I had remaining. What do I do to view this information in Linux?

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I find out the size of my harddrive in Linux Mint

Post by beefstu »

in the system monitor under the file systems tab
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

brawnypandora0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by brawnypandora0 »

1) Why does the sticker on my laptop say 60 GB, yet the system monitor only says 53.8 GB total?

2) It says I have 12.0 GB free, but only 9.3 GB available. What about the remaining 2.7 GB?

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

1) there is some loss in formatting, I have an 82GB drive with only 75.1 reported total

2) Never noticed that before but this https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... stion/8609 seems to explain it pretty well and what you can possibly do about it
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In Mint Main Edition, with the Gnome desktop, go to Menu=>Accessories=>Disk Usage Analyzer. This will give you information for all partitions used by the running Operating System. It will not show the entire hard drive unless the entire drive is being used by the single OS.

To see the entire drive if you are dual or multi-booting, install "gnome-disk-utility". (enter that exact name in the search box of Software or Package Manager)

This will be found at Menu=>Administration=>Disk Utility after installation. On launch, you will be presented with a window divided into two parts. The left side will list all storage devices installed in your computer. Click on a device and full information will appear in the right pane.

BE CAREFUL when using this app. It will not only display the contents of your hard drive it is also an editor. You can WIPE your drive if you click the wrong thing (such as "Format Drive").
Registered Linux User 483387

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

For easy and safe checking your disk capacity, follow those terminal commands here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=58415
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Return to “Newbie Questions”