Question about ATI cards and mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dusty832
Level 1
Level 1

Question about ATI cards and mint

Post by dusty832 »

Hi all :)

On my laptop I have an ATI HD3200 and the main OS on it is Ubuntu 10.04.1, and it works great. So I thought it was about time to switch my desktop over (keeping a small win7 partition for WoW), but Ubuntu hates my ATI HD5770 it has bad tearing, blurring and so on. From talking to the people on their forums and just a general search this seems to be a common problem.

So I was wanting to know if Mint has this same problem with the 5770 or ATI in general?

Thanks for any help :)

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Question about ATI cards and mint

Post by 0ddity »

My desktop has an ATI 3650, even with the properietary drivers, there is noticable screen tearing when moving windows and in videos, however it is not so bad that its not worth using Mint for.

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

If you look and read over almost every post on the web, it seems that ATI is in no rush to support and or update linux drivers for their products. IMO this is something that has plagued *nix users for years, seems the best options are Nvidia or Matrox cards, now with that said, Matrox is in no real hurry to bust into the laptop GFX scene and it does kind of limit ones options when purchasing a laptop. If i can't find what I would like in a lappy of the shelf whether it be a Nvidia based GFX or expandable, I troll Kijiji or Ebay, find one i need and upgrade it.

I know this isn't alot of comfort in your situation, but it is what it is.

Sorry
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

dusty832
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dusty832 »

Thanks for the reply's i'm not too familiar with Nvidia, any idea what would be equal to or better than my 5770?

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

The laptop I just bought has the ATI Mobility 5730 and it works fine with LM 10 RC1 using the recommended driver. I also tried it with LMDE and wasn't as happy with the video though it did work. I uused the sgfxi script to install the driver but I think it had to do with the xorg version, I think LM 10 has a new version and thus uses a different driver. I don't do games so my video needs are not the same as others that do.

I would give LM 10 RC 1 a try and see what happens. The bad thing is you will have to install it to see if the combination will work as it takes a reboot too activate the ATI driver so the livecd is out unless there is a trick I'm not aware of.

I even have my Visual effects set to custom and I'm not seeing any tearing or any other issues
LMDE ROCKS!!!

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

hemimaniac: Try persistent install to a USB-stick, or whatever it's called. :)

dusty: Go have a look at Tom's Hardware - I think they have hierarchical lists that will answer that question for you. As far as I can remember, though, I think Nvidia's 200-series were marketed against the HD57x0s. That said, I suppose the 460/465 will whip that 5770 so grandly it's not even entertaining.

dusty832
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dusty832 »

Thanks for that info I will check it out :)

also thanks all the info guys.

Return to “Newbie Questions”