Why is my laptop fan so noisy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
brawnypandora0
Level 3
Level 3

Why is my laptop fan so noisy

Post by brawnypandora0 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:22 am

One thing I notice with a lot of people's laptops nowadays is that their fans are almost never on, and when they are, they are quite quiet. My Acer Aspire 3000 is four years old and the fan is ALMOST ALWAYS going. It comes on about five minutes after startup and is very noisy. Online reviews of this laptop from other users say the same thing. Why is this, and is yours like this as well?

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why is my laptop fan so noisy

Post by willie42 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:42 am

The noise of the fan depends on the manufacturer of the machine and what kind of stress its under. I have found the more the stress on the machine the more the fans run. as far as quieter fans I assume you might be able to buy a quieter fan and Install it but I dont know if its worth all the trouble opening it and replacing it.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

brawnypandora0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by brawnypandora0 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:48 am

willie42 wrote:The noise of the fan depends on the manufacturer of the machine and what kind of stress its under. I have found the more the stress on the machine the more the fans run. as far as quieter fans I assume you might be able to buy a quieter fan and Install it but I dont know if its worth all the trouble opening it and replacing it.
What do you mean by stress? It runs even without any programs running. If I put a laptop cooling device underneath it, will it still be on all the time?

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:53 am

well there is always something running even if its running in the background. I would look at what is running and look at the CPU usage it consumming. You didnt give me what sytem you are running. So its hard for me to tell you anything more until you provide us with more info on what version of mint you are using.

ezas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:20 am

On a 4 year old laptop it probably does not support spinning down the fans when the load is light. In 4 years a lot of progress has been made on thermal management on lappys so they can get by with fans that are spinning slower. Also fans have gotten quieter even when they are spinning up.

Go to the website for your lappy and find the manual and see if they support any type of fan management for your hardware. Beyond that not much you can do.

Without fan managment, a laptop cooler will not reduce your fan noise.
unweaving the rainbow

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 am

I have worked on ACER 3000 Series and they do support spinning down. At least the ones that worked on do...... :D

olle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 am

brawnypandora0 wrote: My Acer Aspire 3000 is four years old and the fan is ALMOST ALWAYS going
Four years ? Have you used vacuum cleaner and/or canned air lately ?

The cooling fan is a real vacuum cleaner ... you need to empty the bag ...

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:25 am

to the comments that state "depending on the stress...cpu etc" is a total load of BULL

my laptop is only 3 months old and the fan is always running at 3/4 pace as though its trying hard to cool down.

as to the OP, my fan is hardly ever on or at least running only at 1/5 of the speed when running in w7 or xp. i think this is something that will never be resolved in linux like the suspend, FN keys to the brightness are just afew to mention, especially the fan speed issues. to be honest, the fan running at almost full speed all the time will only cause faster wear and tear when running in linux. ive noticed this since mint7 days and even the fan was running at almost full speed on the desktop and ive never seen a patch or work around to slow or run the fan at normal speed.

m$ have nailed all proper hardware control, linux is getting there, but at a turtle pase.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM19.2 - ZorinOS 15 - Win 10

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:36 am

I also had the same problem, the only way to fix it if you buy a brand new pc

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 am

jesica wrote:I also had the same problem, the only way to fix it if you buy a brand new pc
Haha. and why is Windoof able to run the fan at different speeds?

No. In most cases you have to change the trip points. There is a good reading about it beginning with posting #2.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

MysticGold04
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MysticGold04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:12 pm

I have a little bit of experience with this... first hand.

Generally I have found that notebooks with the AMD processors tend to run hotter than their Intel counterparts.

My wife's laptop (AMD) fan used to run constantly, and when she would play flash videos or games, the fan would contantly be on full blast. I blew out the heatsink and fan area with my air compressor, and now it no longer behaves like that. The fan runs constant at a whisper speed and the air coming out is cool.

Another friend of mine had a Dell laptop that kept shutting down on her (AMD) it was overheating. I gave it the compressor treatment too.. all fixed.

My laptop (Intel) I decided to blow it out too, and didnt notice much difference in temp, but alot of dust was displaced.

I guess it depends on the design of the laptop and how the airflow is designed to run through it. I'd imagine keeping the fan/heatsink helps tremendously to ensure proper cooling. I also think that this is one of those things in this day and age, "they don't make them like they used to"
PC manufacturers constantly use the lowest bidder to maximize their profits - just like anything else. -- Such is life I guess!! :roll:
Acer Aspire 4730Z/4GB/Mint 17.3/Cinnamon x64
Homebuilt AMD Phenom II 545/4GB/LM 17.3/Pulling HTPC duty

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm

MysticGold04 wrote:I guess it depends on the design of the laptop and how the airflow is designed to run through it. I'd imagine keeping the fan/heatsink helps tremendously to ensure proper cooling. I also think that this is one of those things in this day and age, "they don't make them like they used to"
PC manufacturers constantly use the lowest bidder to maximize their profits - just like anything else. -- Such is life I guess!! :roll:
There's the real problem. Profit. Just like appliances, automobiles, and even houses; It's all about the bottom line. Make it cheaper and sell it for more. When I was looking for a laptop, I must have read a hundred horror stories in numerous forums about laptops running hot. When I decided to buy one, I figured I would have to buy a cooling pad just to run the thing properly. I was going to buy a Toshiba or Asus or maybe even a Dell. What I decided on was a Hewlett-Packard. I'm sure I just got lucky, but I have not had any problem with heat in the year I've had my HPG61. As a matter of fact, with Mint 10 and the ATI proprietary driver installed, it is running much cooler than it did in Windows. So much for Linux being behind in hardware management. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 pm

ej64 wrote:
jesica wrote:I also had the same problem, the only way to fix it if you buy a brand new pc
Haha. and why is Windoof able to run the fan at different speeds?

No. In most cases you have to change the trip points. There is a good reading about it beginning with posting #2.
trip point is about your cpu, I know it will not let your fan run softer, and changes are, you going to keep putting different fans in your system and something can go wrong, with a 4 year old pc, I would rather just stick with the loud fan noise and no the system will work

My fan I can not here at all, if i switch my screen of I msut 1st touch my box to feel if my pc is on, since I disabled all my lights on my box

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:24 am

ibm450 wrote:to the comments that state "depending on the stress...cpu etc" is a total load of BULL

my laptop is only 3 months old and the fan is always running at 3/4 pace as though its trying hard to cool down.

as to the OP, my fan is hardly ever on or at least running only at 1/5 of the speed when running in w7 or xp. i think this is something that will never be resolved in linux like the suspend, FN keys to the brightness are just afew to mention, especially the fan speed issues. to be honest, the fan running at almost full speed all the time will only cause faster wear and tear when running in linux. ive noticed this since mint7 days and even the fan was running at almost full speed on the desktop and ive never seen a patch or work around to slow or run the fan at normal speed.

m$ have nailed all proper hardware control, linux is getting there, but at a turtle pase.
Granted Linux has it's fare share of fan speed issues but to call willie42's post bull is a little harsh. It's not a stretch of logic: More CPU activity = More heat = fan running more. I don't see the total load of BULL in that equation.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:01 am

Granted Linux has it's fare share of fan speed issues but to call willie42's post bull is a little harsh. It's not a stretch of logic: More CPU activity = More heat = fan running more. I don't see the total load of BULL in that equation.
fair comment about the un appropriate word used.

but this has been a growing concern regarding fan speed issues as my fan does not operate as near as fast / almost full speed while running w7 or xp as it does on any linux based distro.

i feel that this will cause greater wear and tear on the cooling components especially on laptops.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM19.2 - ZorinOS 15 - Win 10

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 am

ibm450 wrote:
fair comment about the un appropriate word used.

but this has been a growing concern regarding fan speed issues as my fan does not operate as near as fast / almost full speed while running w7 or xp as it does on any linux based distro.

i feel that this will cause greater wear and tear on the cooling components especially on laptops.
People often blame flaky hardware support on Linux when in fact it's the hardware manufactures fault for not writing Linux drivers or releasing specifications so others can write drivers. BTW The fan works just fine in my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

brawnypandora0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by brawnypandora0 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks for the post about cleaning. I bought my laptop in 2006 and cleaned the dust off the fans for the first time yesterday. I didn't know dust could get into the fan like that and make it so noisy. I didn't realize that the fan was so small--is it true that it only cools the processor yet leaves everything else uncooled?

Also, how many times a year should I wipe the dust off?

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 am

I've had this Dell Inspiron 1525 for 6 months (since my daughter called it quits with windoze when it crashed on her while working)and have yet to even have the fan come any higher than about 60% using Mint 9 or 10.I just switched over to Julia RC right after it was released .I also have an eMachines E625 running Mint 9 and again the fan is about the same as when it was running vistuh!In regards to the question about wiping the laptop down I clean them both very regularly the fans have yet to be cleaned either.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Return to “Newbie Questions”